No subject

Wed Sep 24 18:50:42 PDT 2008

Johnny turned as he heard the two riders coming up to him. Murdoch and Scot=
took a minute to look at the view Johnny was enjoying.

"Murdoch, Every time I come up here I have to look at the beauty of this
spot. I could sit here all day"

"I agree but the ranch wouldn't look so good if we sat up here all day"
Murdoch smiled at his youngest son. "How were the cattle up on the north
range? Did we lose many?"

"I don't think so. I didn't really get a good head count without rounding
them all up together but I only found three dead ones. I figure I will take
a crew up there tomorrow and start rounded them up and start the branding.
The pen is in pretty good shape. Should't take more than three- four days t=
round them all up and get the branding done. The line shack needs restocked=
.
I'll need to run into town this afternoon yet and get the supplies. Either
of you want to come along?" Johnny finished with a grin on his face.

"YOu know going into town don't sound like a bad idea. What do you say
Murdoch want to go into town and see if the Lancer men can sit it on its
ears? " Scott teasingly asked his father.

"You two haven't seen a town sit up on its ears . Why, I could tell you
stories even you couldn't top, Johnny. But you know, I do need to go to tow=
anyhow. I need to see Greg Dutton about that contact for the lumber I sold
to Williamson Lumber over in Frisco. So I guess I will ride in with you two=
.
Keep you out of trouble. Johnny, go to the bank and take a couple hundred
out. Pay up our bill at the store and get what you need. Should be some lef=
over to liven the town up a little."

####

In town the hustle of the people going about their business was increasing.
There were people from all over coming in. The silver mine was paying at
three and everyone was anxiously awaiting the payment coming in by wagon to
the bank.

The Lancer buckboard made it's way through the crowded street. More than th=
average amount was in town today. As all three walked into the merchantile
store, Johnny caught a glimpse out of his eye. He turned to look as 4 men
rode into town. Right away Johnny noticed Craddock. "Wonder what he is doin=
in these parts?" He asked to no one in particular.

"Who, Johnny?" asked Scott, looking toward where Johnny was staring. "You
know that man?"

"Yeah, We were in a few range wars together. Heard he has been going a
little over that fine line that is drawn." Johnny stared at the man. Scott
did not like the look in his brother's eyes. He knew there was more to the
story than what Johnny had said.

Mr. Miller finished with his customer and looked at the Lancer men. "Good
day, boys. How are you Mr. Lancer?"

"Just fine, Mr. Miller," Murdoch responded as he handed him the list he had
made out. "Here is my list and Johnny will be back in a few minutes to pay
up the bill. Say half hour.? "

"Sure, Johnny I can have this ready then." Mr. Miller glanced down the list=
.
You boys going to be spending some time in town tonight?"

"No, sir. Just long enough to grab a couple of beers. The ranch is keeping
us pretty busy right now. Scott, I will met you in saloon in fifteen minute=
okay? Murdoch, we will be waiting for you there okay?

"Sounds good to me," Murdoch said as he headed to the lawyer's office.

"Sure, Johnny. Might take me a little longer but I will met you there as
soon as I can," Scott spoked as he walked out the door.

Johnny followed him and started to the bank. He wondered where Craddock had
gotten too. As he opened the door to the bank. His wondering stopped. As he
entered he heard the click of a gun to his head.

"Don't make a sound and keep walking right on in, Mister" the man known as
Jake said.

Johnny did as he was told. Looking around, he noticed the bank manager was
unlocking the safe. Two men were taking the money out of the drawers. There
were three other customers. He had to do something but he had to make sure
the other customers safe too.

Suddenly Craddock turned and looked and recognized Johnny. "MADRID! What ar=
you doing here? Boy, This is my lucky day." Craddock face showed the hatred
for the man who had just be given to him on a silver platter.

"It isn't Madrid anymore, Craddock. I am through with that life. I took my
father's name now. Lancer. It is Lancer now. You don't want to do this. you
will Get caught sure as anything.......

Craddock walked over to Johnny and put his gun to Johnny's stomach. "Lancer=
,
now is it. Well that might just be a help to us. Boys put these people in
the safe. Johnny and I have some old times to catch up on don't we Johnny?"

The outlaws put the bank manager, clerks and the three other customers in
the safe and shut the door. They motioned to Johnny to turn around out the
front door. Now, Mr. Lancer we are going to walk out this door. We need to
borrow a horse. You didn't happen to be nice and have your horse hitched to
the post do you?" Craddock asked.

"Sorry, I brought the buckboard in for supplies. It is over in front of the
merchantile." Johnny grinned. At least he was going to make it hard for
them. He hoped.

Luck was not on Johnny's side this time as there was a horse tied up to the
post outside of the bank. They all got on a horse and started out of town.
Scott noticed Johnny on the horse and also noticed the man they had seen
earlier. Why was his brother going out with them without telling him ? Well=
,
Maybe Murdoch knew what was going on.

Part Two
by Starbuck nz
starbuck_nz at hotmail.com

"Where'd Johnny take off to?" Murdock asked as he approached his son. "Did
he catch up with old friends of his?" The older gentleman continued.

Scott shook his head, as his hands rested on the hitching post outside the
lawyers office. "I'm not really to sure. I don't know who they were but one
of them had a gun trained.." Before Scott could finish screams were heard
emanating from the bank.

"SHERIFF! Someone get the Sheriff, the banks' just been robbed." yelled a
young lady, distressed at having been involved with the whole episode.

Murdock and Scott made their way to the frantic woman. Scott wrapped his ar=
around her, in an effort to calm her.

"Oh, Mr Lancer, the man who robbed the bank took Johnny with him." She
sobbed and wept erratically as she buried her head into Scott's chest.

"Ah, Miss?" Murdock questioned, while he searched the street for any sign o=
the Sheriff.

"Anderson, Maria Anderson." Came a reply as Maria lifted her head from
Scott's sodden chest. "I'm a friend of Johnny's, Mr Lancer and I'm scared
for him."

"Can you tell me why? Has it got something to do with the men that just rod=
out of here?" enquired Murdock, a sudden bout of nausea threatening to take
over.

Scott looked at his father and saw the beads of perspiration forming on his
brow. "Dad, let me .I'll sort it out. Why don t you go on over and see wher=
Hank is."

Murdock nodded and took a handkerchief from his breast pocket and mopped hi=
forehead. He turned towards the livery, after being directed their buy one
of the townsfolk.

"Dad's not to well, still getting over a bout of the flu," Scott offered,
apologizing for his father's absence. "Maria, can you tell me what happened=
.
Do you recall how it started."

Maria nodded her head and pointed tot eh seat just outside the bank. Scott
took Maria by the arm as her escorted her to the seat.

"I was in the bank waiting to cash the payroll cheque when I saw Johnny
enter, we've been friends for quite some time now. He helped me get my bugg=
out of the ditch one afternoon and I invited him to share lunch with me,"
Maria spoke, informing Scott of how she and Johnny had become acquaintances=
.

He nodded his understanding and pressed her to carry on.

"Johnny was making a withdrawal when the men burst into the bank and robbed
it. Johnny tried to stop them, but they hit with a gun. When he fell the ma=
in charge kicked him and told him to get up." Concluded Maria before she
broke down in tears. "I'm sorry I'm not of much help."

"Maria, you were very helpful, at least I know that Johnny did his best to
deter the thieves. With your information and what I saw when Johnny and I
rode into town, it should be able to help the Sheriff," acknowledged Scott,
leaving Maria in the hands of one of the women who had offered to comfort
her.

When Scott approached his father the Sheriff was already getting the bank
clerk to recount what had happened. He patiently listened and then added
what he had been told by Miss Anderson.

"He wasn't hurt bad enough that he couldn't rid, but Dad his ribs have only
had a few weeks to heal and depending on how hard he was kicked." Scott
uttered, while Murdock nodded his head in agreement.

"Howdy Scott, I'm just getting a posse together ., can I count on you for
your assistance?" The Sheriff asked, seeking visual approval from Murdock.

"Go Scott, go and find your brother , don t you go worrying about your old
man now. Just bring Johnny home safely." Spoke Murdock, as he permitted his
son to join the posse.

Part Three
By PEJA
daltonavon at yahoo.com

Through narrowed eyes, Johnny watched Craddock watching him and felt his
skin began a slow creeping. There was something about the man that had
always reminded Johnny of a startled rattler.

And coming from a man as dangerous as he knew himself to be, that was enoug=
to set his teeth on edge.

"So, Johnny..." Craddock said, breaking the silence. "How have ya been?"

Slumping down against the log in pretended relaxation, Johnny tipped his ha=
down over his eyes. "Can't complain."

Craddock nodded chuckling. "Guess not. Fell smack dab in it, didn't ya? Not
like the rest of us scrambling rough and readies." He leaned forward,
narrowing the distance between them. "So, how'd ya do it? Land yourself in
the Lancer family, that is?"

Johnny shrugged. "Identity confusion."

"Old man Lancer thinks a lot of ya, does he?"

Careful, Johnny boy. There be trouble here.

"Nah, I'm his worst nightmare come to life."

"Do tell."

Johnny's dark laugh sounded low and dangerous. "Imagine his surprise when a
long forgotten bastard son shows up at his door. A son who makes his living
with a gun. Fine up-standing man of the land that he is. Damn near died
right there on the spot. Been trying to dispose of his embarressment ever
since."

Craddock frowned, pushing to his feet. "That is too bad. Makes you a rather
worthless commodity, doesn't it?"

Johnny's hand crept back for his gun, and came up empty. Craddock had the
damn thing. And was actually caressing the damn thing.

"I guess," Craddock said softly, his hand stroking up and down the gun
barrel. "That makes you a liability."

Part 4 by Jan
Scott was glad Johnny had taught him how to track and also the tricks he ha=
showed him in case something happened to either of them. Johnny had left a
good trail. He only hoped they could catch up to him before he was hurt
anymore.

The sheriff rode up next to Scott. " You sure you are following your brothe=
right Scott, DOn't know why those men would be heading this way. There isn'=
anything up here but the wilderness. Almost on Lancer land , Do you know of
anyplace they could hold up ? "

Scott kept his head down looking for signs. " We have a line shack up here.
About 15 miles due north of here. Unless they found it , I don't think
Johnny would be leading them there. I don't think they know where they are
going . Just thinking they could hide out in these woods and get lost."

Well , beats me how you are seeing anything . I don't see no tracks here
now."

" I am not looking at tracks Sheriff. Johnny showed me how if one of us wer=
in trouble to make a trail no one else would know it but we would. He did i=
more for me than him. But he is doing it know. One thing the horse he is
riding has a loose shoe and he is riding him off the trail every 100 yds or
so right here see? Another think he is doing is when he does that he is
breaking a twig off. See? I don't know where they are going but at least I
know Johnny is alright so far." Scott spoke.

Meanwhile, Craddock was thinking of what just to do with his lost "friend"
that happened to fall into his lap. He rubbed his shoulder as he thought of
the months it took him to heal and the time he had spent in that prison
because of the man in front of him. Revenge would be sweet that was for
sure. But he wanted it slow and he wanted Johnny to know what it was like t=
hurt and be held in a room that was no more than a box. One of the men came
up to him.

"Hey Craddock, there is a cave up there about a mile. What you say we hold
up there for a while. We can scout around and see what our options are from
there. " Mitch said with the hope of getting out of the elements at least
that much.

Craddock looked at him. " A cave uh? What is it like? Deep? any holes in it=
?

" Well, I didn't go to far in but I didn't see where it ended .and yeah has
a deep hole in there about 30 feet in I would guess. Why you ask that?"

Cradock smiled as he looked at his prisoner. " Well I need a nice safe plac=
to put our prisoner you know. A nice deep hole in a dark cave would do well
wouldn't it? What do you think Johnny boy. Want to spend the rest of your
life in a hole? Let's see how you feel about living in a small space for a
while. Come on boys let's go to the cave."

Johnny was not liking this too much. He liked being in control of his life.
As they put him up on the horse , Craddock grabbed the reins so now he lead
the horse. Johnny could not pull the horse off to the side. He could now
only hope that Scott could still follow the trail now.

The trip was short . Craddock and Mitch came and threw Johnny off the horse=
.
With his hands tied behind him , Johnny could not cushion his fall much and
his side landed right on top of a sharp rock. He quickly rolled off of it a=
the pain of cracked ribs carried up through his head. Craddock did not let
him have any peace though as he landed a boot in the same area. yelling at
his men they grabbed Johnny and Craddock enjoyed placing a fist in his
captive's body. Inflicting injury on this young man was now just a outlit
for the anger that had built up in Craddock for the last 5 years. Lancer wa=
going to pay for what he did to him. An unconsious Johnny was carried into
the cave. Craddock lead them in and looked down the hole. It was a good
fifteen feet down and only five feet wide Not much room for a grown man to
move around. He stepped aside and the men carried Johnny over the hole and
lowered him down as far as they could then let him go.

" Well, wonder if that did him in. But he was still breathing when he left
here boss. You sure did a number on him. What did he do to you?" Dave asked
with a smile on his face. He knew this man had to have done something bad
and loved it when people got revenge.

" He was the one who shot me and then they left. The sheriff found me and
then since I was the one caught I got 5 years in that stinken prison. Well,
now we will see how he likes prison. If he is lucky we might even feed him
bread and water. If he behaves himself." Craddock laughs as he leaves with
his men to go to the front of the cave.

Scott seen where the men had stopped and footprints. Even the sheriff could
tell someone was held by two other men as another one was in front of him.
Scott looked at the horse prints and glazed out into the woods. "Think,
Scott , what is up there ahead ? " he thought to his self. Trying to
remember the few times he had been this far, Scott kept trying to put his
finger on what he wasn't remembering. "There is a cave about a mile from
here.Come on Sheriff let's go check it out."

Part 5 by Starbuck