[Makebelieve] Fw: [ADMIN] [DOWNTIME ALERT] Server downtime for transplant

Dennis Carr dennisthetiger at chez-vrolet.net
Wed Sep 24 18:47:48 PDT 2008

This is just a reminder that we will be having downtime on September
30, 2008 owing to an impending server move that will take place on that
day.  The message I sent is below.

-Dennis
=======================

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:49:47 -0700
From: Dennis Carr <dennisthetiger at chez-vrolet.net>
To: makebelieve at chez-vrolet.net
Subject: [ADMIN] [DOWNTIME ALERT] Server downtime for transplant

No, this isn't bad.  It's a good thing.

I've been informed that the server will be relocating to another data
center in the bay area on September 30, 2008.  As such, I will be
setting chez-vrolet.net to halt itself at 13:00 PDT on that date so
that we can move the machine.

Because the backup MX is in the same rack, mail will simply be waiting
to be dispatched from your respective SMTP servers.  If they are
configured correctly, they will keep retrying for 3-5 days (and the
machine should be back online within 24 hours anyway); if not, then
you'll get a bounce - try again the next day, or when you see the
"We're Back" message. Remember, we'll all be here on the other side, and
the world (or list) will not end if you don't post your fic. =^_^=

A reminder message will go out in one week, on the 29th, and on the
30th at 08:45 PDT.

I'll have more information later on, such as how long the machine will
be down.