No subject

Wed Sep 24 18:50:42 PDT 2008

surface. After some time and the battle seemingly won, he managed to open
his eyes. Struggling for a grip on awareness he fought the pain the
inhibited his head and body.

With pain filled movements he slowly pushed himself to an upright position.
He panted heavily as he leaned against the wall of his earthen prison. The
mere act of moving just enough to sit up had cost him dearly. His head
pounded with an incessant throb - one that matched the steady ache in his
left leg. His hands still bound he was limited as to what he could do;
checking on his injuries would have to wait.

"Johnny. Johnny," called a familiar voice.

"Down here," Johnny returned. His own voice not much more than a muffled
whisper. He braced himself against the wall and tried to push himself to a
standing position. He tottered unevenly before his left leg folded, sending
him back towards the surface once more. "Scott," he feebly called before
succumbing to darkness once more.

"Shhh. Did you hear that?" Scott asked, raising his right hand in a gesture
to stop.

The Sheriff shrugged and cocked his head to the side trying in vain to
detect any noise other than the heavy breathing of Scott Lancer and himself=
.
He had all but given up when he heard a very quite plea. "It came from over
there."

Scott nodded his head in agreement and accompanied by the Sheriff he made
his way to the deep pit in the cave where his younger brother had been
incarcerated. "Damn I can't see," he cursed and lay on his stomach at the
top of the hole.

"Johnny? Johnny can you hear me?"

"Here this may help," the Sheriff said as he handed Scott a lit match. "Wai=
a minute, I think I've found something that will help us out."

Frantic with worry Scott continued to call down the blackened hole. "Damn
it, brother you better answer me." The worry in Scott's voice evident.

"Any luck?" the Sheriff asked when he returned.

"No."

"Here, try this," he said, offering Scott the lit torch. "Should help you
see better."

Outwardly Scott tried to remain calm, while inwardly his stomach was doing
giant flips at the thought of what he might see. He closed his eyes for a
brief moment and inhaled deeply, filling his lungs. Unsure of his own
ability to face what he feared most he offered a silent prayer of hope.

With the illumination offered by the torch he peered into the deep crevice.
He saw the silver chaps of his brother's black jeans and the rowels on the
left spur. He mentally noted the awkward angle that Johnny's left leg lay
at. He saw Johnny slumped back against the dirt wall; no sign of life. "I
got here too late."

"What was that?"

"Nothing, Sheriff, I was talking to myself," Scott answered and pushed
himself up onto his knees. "I've got to get down there and get Johnny out. =
need some rope and and...."

Before he could say anymore the Sheriff handed to Scott then length of rope
he had retrieved earlier from his own saddle. "Already got it. Now what els=
do you need?"

"I'll let you know when I'm down there," Scott said, gesturing at the hole.

Slowly but surely Scott made his way to the bottom of the hole. With little
room to move he crouched beside his brother and placed his fingers on his
neck, desperately feeling for a pulse. "Yes," he jubilantly exclaimed when
he felt one.

Weak and thready but still there. "We'll have you out of here soon,
brother."

True to his word, Scott and the sheriff pulled Johnny from the hole. When
Scott was able to get a better look at his brother he winced when he saw th=
gash above Johnny's right eye that still continued to trickle blood.

While the sheriff freed Johnny form his bonds, Scott did a quick assessment
of his injuries.

"What's the verdict?"

"The verdict is, Sheriff, that we need to get him back to town and to the
doctor as quick as we can. Feels like three maybe four broken ribs and his
left leg's broken as well."

During the whole time of being poked and prodded Johnny remained blissfully
unaware. A warm blanket of darkness kept him free from pain and the worry
that masked Scott's face.

****L*****

Craddock watched with interest from his nearby view point as the centre of
all the anger he had felt was being tended to. "Damn you Lancer!" he spat
vehemently.

"What's eatin' you?" one of Craddock's men dared to ask.

"THAT!" snapped Craddock and pointed towards Johnny Lancer's limp form.
"He's gonna wish he had died in that hole by the time I've finished with hi=
and his family."

Part 6
By S.

"The real problem as I see it, Sheriff, is that Johnny is in no condition t=
ride. Could you go into town, pick up our buckboard and bring back help?"

"Sure, Scott. I'll be on my way and don't worry I'll tell Murdoch too."

"Thanks, Sheriff, and could you let me have your bedroll and canteen?"
______________________________

Craddock watched as the Sheriff rode off. <<So the Lancer kid is staying
with Madrid? Maybe this will work out yet. I wonder how much Murdoch Lancer
will pay for his 2 boys?>>
_______________________________

Scott put his own bedroll down on the cave floor, then he covered Johnny
with his own bedroll. Johnny hadn't stirred since his removal from the hole=
,
but Scott didn't like the cool, clammy feel of his skin. Shock could be a
problem. <<Maybe I should have tried to get him into town. What if he dies?
Murdoch would be devastated.>>

Scott would be devastated. He'd become close to Johnny. They were such
opposites, but he cared about the young man and would do whatever he could
to protect him. <<Protect him, that's funny. ME, protect Johnny Madrid!>>

Just then Johnny groaned. He tried to open his eyes.

"Johnny, can you hear me?"

Johnny looked at his brother;but there seemed to be no recognition, then he
gave a slight smile. "Scott?" he whispered.

"Yeah it's me. Lie still. You've been hurt bad, but the Sheriff's gone for
help. You'll be fixed up in no time."

Just then Scott saw fear in Johnny's eyes, "Craddock?"

"I don't know what happened to him. He probably took off."

"Not that snake. He'd want to make sure I was dead."

"Well you just rest. I won't let him hurt you."

Johnny closed his eyes. "Thanks."

_______________________________

Craddock and his 2 men made their way down to the cave.

_______________________________

It was quiet in the cave except for a dripping stream. Just then Scott hear=
a crunch. He pulled his gun just in time to fire at the first man. A howl o=
pain told Scott that the bullet had done its job. Then the other man starte=
firing. Because of the ricochet, Scott was afraid a bullet might hit Johnny
so he covered him with his body. Suddenly he felt a sting on one arm; but
before he could react, he felt a gun pressed to his back.

"Okay, Lancer, put down the gun and stand up slowly." Scott did as he was
told.

"So you're Madrid's brother? You don't look much like him." Scott said
nothing. "It don't matter. Murdoch Lancer will be glad to pay to get YOU
back."

Scott's head came up. "What does that mean?"

"Oh, I'm sure Lancer will come here himself and I just know he'll pay a
handsome sum for you--in one piece."

"What about Johnny?"

"Madrid? I'd just as soon kill him, but maybe I could get something for him
first.

Cold hit Scott's stomach. "You're going to kill him?"

"Sure after what he did to me. If you hadn't interfered, he'd be rotting
down that hole. Now I'll have to do something else. Maybe I'll kill you and
your father while he watches."

Scott knew he had to do something, but the bullet graze made him
lightheaded. He swayed slightly. "Can I sit down/"

"Sure. Make yourself comfortable, but don't try anything or you're dead."

"What about the money you'd lose?"

"Believe me, the money means less than hurting that scum Madrid."

After a few moments, Johnny moaned again, "Scott? Water/"

Scott looked at Craddock. "NO. "Please?" NO!"

"Sorry, Johnny. Craddock says no"

"Craddock?"

"He's holding a gun on me."

"So Madrid, are you beginning to realize that I'm the one in control now?
You'll regret betraying me."

The silence returned for a time. Suddenly Scott could hear noise outside th=
cave. "Scott? Are you in there? It's me, Murdoch."

Scott's heart sank.

"Tell him to come in."

"No."

"Do it or Madrid's dead."

"Murdoch, come in alone."

Murdoch Lancer entered. As soon as he saw the men with guns, he stopped.
"Scott, what's going on?"

"I'm Craddock and if you want your 2 boys to survive you'll bring me $10,00=
0
in 2 hours."

"2 hours? Where can I get that kind of money in so short a time/"

"Oh yes, I guess the bank is a bit empty, but if you want your 2 fine young
men back, you'll get it some way."

"All right, all right. Just don't hurt them"

Lancer turned to leave. Craddock yelled after him, "Get it here by 5 or you
can use the money for 2 funerals."
______________________________

In a low voice Craddock ordered his man to go outside to make sure the
Sheriff wasn't planning any tricks while Lancer was gone.

_______________________________

Jumbled thoughts filled Scott's brain. He knew he had to do something befor=
Murdoch's return, but there were 2 guns against his none. He knew he needed
some kind of diversion so he could jump Craddock. But what?

Scott shifted uncomfortably. He was sitting on some small rocks. He palmed
one ready for use, but knew that it would be a desperate move and there was
always the danger of Johnny being hurt again.

"Craddock?"

"What?"

"I need to go over into the corner"

"Why?"

"Call of nature."

"So do it where you're sitting."

"Please."

Oh, all right, but one false move and Madrid's dead."

Scott walked to the hole and relieved himself. He then returned to his
place.

The silence grew. All that could be heard was the dripping stream. After
some minutes, Craddock began to squirm.

"Lancer, you stay put. I need to take a leak, but I'll kill you if you try
anything."

Craddock moved over to the hole. He unbuttoned his fly. The sound of water
and his sigh of relief gave Scott his clue that it was time to make his
move.

He threw the small rocks in his hand up against the cave wall. Craddock
fired at the noise and started a small avalanche of stones. .

The noise of the falling rocks covered Scott's move towards Craddock, but
instinctively Craddock turned to see the young man launch himself at the
outlaw.
Craddock fired.

Part 7 by Elayn Briggs
Momentum carried Scott forward, his body slamming into Craddock. The force
drove the two men, bodies now entwined, towards the back of the dim cave.
Scott wasn't sure whether the terrified, choking scream he heard was his ow=
or that of the monster who was now a part of him. All Scott knew was that
they were falling; tumbling into a black abyss.

The air was driven from Scott's lungs as the two men smashed into the stony
limestone of the cave's floor. An almost deafening silence was the last
impression Scott had as he slipped into blackness.

Consciousness returned slowly, the fog lingering but lifting as Scott becam=
aware of his surroundings... *Craddock. A gun shot. Their bodies intertwine=
and falling. They must have fallen into the damned hole,* Scott realized.

A quiet groan escaped from Scott's lips as he shifted his body in the
cramped, dark space. As he tried to sit up he felt a flaccid form underneat=
him. Frantically Scott attempted to push himself away from Craddock's body.
His arms didn't want to cooperate Scott dimly
realized, as darkness threatened to overwhelm him once more. Biting back th=
bile that threatened to rise and ignoring the growing pain in his left arm,
Scott managed to force his body into a sitting position. Taking a deep
breath, he attempted to get a bearing on his condition. His left arm ached
and felt strangely heavy but at least he was able to move it. His right arm
hung uselessly at his side, but curiously there was no pain. He reached out
with his left hand, groping in the darkness. Felling Craddock's chest below
him, his hand continued moving upward. Craddock's head was twisted at an od=
angle and Scott realized the man's neck was broken. Relief washed over Scot=
as he realized this Satan of a man could no longer harm his brother...

*Johnny!!* Scott bit back a horse cry as he realized Johnny was lying hurt
and alone above him. He shook his head in frustration and muttered into the
darkness, "Way to go Scott, a lot of good you are to Johnny now."
Determinedly Scott managed to stand, pushing his back against the dirt wall
and forcing his legs to push up under him. Once up Scott stepped away from
Craddock's body and moved slowly along the circular wall of the hole.
Something brushed against Scott's face and he automatically recoiled from
the object. "Come on Scott, relax" he spoke out loud as he moved back
towards the object. *The rope!* he realized. It was the rope the sheriff ha=
used to pull Johnny from the hole earlier. Scott gave a tug on the ragged
strand of hemp with his left arm, ignoring the pain that shot towards his
shoulder. It was still tied off to the boulder above he realized happily.

Scotts elation.at finding the rope quickly turned into despair when he
realized he'd never be able to climb up it with his two bad arms. Exhausted
and desolate Scott sagged against the wall. He closed his eyes and shook hi=
head groggily. Then from above he heard the quiet but frightened voice of
his younger brother.

"Scott? Scott, are you there? I'm so cold Scott." Johnny's weak voice
drifted off.

*No!* Scott thought. His brother Johnny was always the strong one - the one
who had taught him the ways of this harsh western land - the one who
protected him. And now his brother needed him.

Scott pushed up with steely determination and took the rope in his left
hand. In the narrow hole Scott managed to press his back against the wall
and stretch his long legs across to the far wall. Then, one-handed, he
slowly inched upward; pain and sweat slowing his progress but doggedly
continuing. Abruptly the wall ended and Scott fell back onto the cold floor
of the upper cave. Scott lie exhausted, his body utterly depleted, the only
sound the ragged intake of his breath. Using a reserve of strength he didn'=
truly possess Scott rolled to his knees and managed to stand. He staggered
and knelt beside his brother who lie motionless; his face grey, his body
unmoving.

For one horrid moment Scott thought he was too late. "No! Johnny! Please
God." Scott laid his hand on Johnny's pale, damp forehead and leaned down
over his brother's face. "Johnny=96hey little brother=96I'm here, it's ok, =
I'm
here," Scott spoke gently. Slowly, Johnny's eyes opened, revealing two slit=
of vivid blue. Scott's heard soared as Johnny gave him a tired, half smile
and reached a weak hand toward his.

Grinning back, Scott took his brother's weak hand in his own and shakily sa=
down beside Johnny. He pulled Johnny's head into his lap, squeezing his
hand. "Everything's gonna be fine, it's gonna be fine." Scott's head fell
forward, exhaustion finally taking its toll.

"JOHNNY! SCOTT!" The persistent voice brought Scott back to consciousness.

"Murdoch? We're over here," Scott replied weakly to the sweet music of his
father's voice....

end part 7

PLEASE NOTE: this is a story that was being written in RR form on a lost
list. I've decided to try and get it finished, and am offering it to the
readers as yet another wandering wren. If you would like to add the next
bit, please do. You can send your response to the list or to me privately a=
makebelievearchive at gmail.com and I will send it out to the interested lists=
.
When sending a clip, please remember to include the wren name and chapter.
If this wren branches into a tree, include the branch. If you change
something that will effect the headers...a new fandom, gen to slash
whatever, please make note of that as well so I can make the changes in the
headers here and on the archive. If this story does become slash, I'll
probably split it into two branches and do a gen and a slash, the slash
story would only be sent to the slash lists, the general branch to the gen
lists.

--=20
PEJA
The wwomb archive http://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/index.php accepts al=
fandoms, all genres. Come create your personal page with us
Need a plot bunny? http://community.livejournal.com/adoptaplotbunny/
ready to commit ten minutes a day to writing?

------=_Part_22683_11710881.1222488454629

Lancer (Andrew Duggan), Johnny Madrid Lancer (James Stacy), Scott Lancer (W=
ayne Maunder) Jelly Hoskins (Paul Brinegar), Teresa O&#39;Brien (Elizabeth =
Baur)<br>
Pairing: none, at this time<br>Category: Wandering wren<br>Rating: FRM for =
ief Summary: Johnny is kidnnapped by bank robbers from his past<br>Warnings=
:violence, abduction<br>
Notes/acknowledgments: thanks to all the authros who work to bring this off=
.<br>General thanks to all of you folks who are requesting short fics and i=
mprovs in the various fandoms. You&#39;re keeping the words flowing.<br>
Disclaimers: Lancer belongs to the creatore, the story belongs to the autho=
rs and is a gift they give the readers<br>Archive: Yes, <a href=3D"http://w=
ww.squidge.org/peja/cgi-bin/viewstory.php?sid=3D39479">http://www.squidge.o=
rg/peja/cgi-bin/viewstory.php?sid=3D39479</a><br>
an sitting on his palamino horse on the hillside. Glazing contently at the =
view. A year ago today he had arrived here A year since he had found his fa=
ther. Or more his father had found him. From a gun hawk to a third owner of=
 the biggest ranch in Jouquin Valley. Johnny turned as he heard the two rid=
ers coming up to him. Murdoch and Scott took a minute to look at the view J=
ohnny was enjoying.<br>
f this spot. I could sit here all day&quot;<br><br>&quot;I agree but the ra=
nch wouldn&#39;t look so good if we sat up here all day&quot; Murdoch smile=
d at his youngest son. &quot;How were the cattle up on the north range? Did=
 we lose many?&quot;<br>
ithout rounding them all up together but I only found three dead ones. I fi=
gure I will take a crew up there tomorrow and start rounded them up and sta=
rt the branding. The pen is in pretty good shape. Should&#39;t take more th=
an three- four days to round them all up and get the branding done. The lin=
e shack needs restocked. I&#39;ll need to run into town this afternoon yet =
and get the supplies. Either of you want to come along?&quot; Johnny finish=
ed with a grin on his face.<br>
 you say Murdoch want to go into town and see if the Lancer men can sit it =
on its ears? &quot; Scott teasingly asked his father.<br><br>&quot;You two =
haven&#39;t seen a town sit up on its ears . Why, I could tell you stories =
even you couldn&#39;t top, Johnny. But you know, I do need to go to town an=
yhow. I need to see Greg Dutton about that contact for the lumber I sold to=
 Williamson Lumber over in Frisco. So I guess I will ride in with you two. =
Keep you out of trouble. Johnny, go to the bank and take a couple hundred o=
ut. Pay up our bill at the store and get what you need. Should be some left=
 over to liven the town up a little.&quot;<br>
 was increasing. There were people from all over coming in. The silver mine=
 was paying at three and everyone was anxiously awaiting the payment coming=
 in by wagon to the bank.<br>
 than the average amount was in town today. As all three walked into the me=
rchantile store, Johnny caught a glimpse out of his eye. He turned to look =
as 4 men rode into town. Right away Johnny noticed Craddock. &quot;Wonder w=
hat he is doing in these parts?&quot; He asked to no one in particular.<br>
taring. &quot;You know that man?&quot;<br><br>&quot;Yeah, We were in a few =
range wars together. Heard he has been going a little over that fine line t=
hat is drawn.&quot; Johnny stared at the man. Scott did not like the look i=
n his brother&#39;s eyes. He knew there was more to the story than what Joh=
nny had said.<br>
ot;Good day, boys. How are you Mr. Lancer?&quot;<br><br>&quot;Just fine, Mr=
. Miller,&quot; Murdoch responded as he handed him the list he had made out=
. &quot;Here is my list and Johnny will be back in a few minutes to pay up =
the bill. Say half hour.? &quot;<br>
 down the list. You boys going to be spending some time in town tonight?&qu=
ot;<br><br>&quot;No, sir. Just long enough to grab a couple of beers. The r=
anch is keeping us pretty busy right now. Scott, I will met you in saloon i=
n fifteen minutes okay? Murdoch, we will be waiting for you there okay?<br>
#39;s office.<br><br>&quot;Sure, Johnny. Might take me a little longer but =
I will met you there as soon as I can,&quot; Scott spoked as he walked out =
the door.<br>
 had gotten too. As he opened the door to the bank. His wondering stopped. =
As he entered he heard the click of a gun to his head.<br><br>&quot;Don&#39=
;t make a sound and keep walking right on in, Mister&quot; the man known as=
 Jake said.<br>
was unlocking the safe. Two men were taking the money out of the drawers. T=
here were three other customers. He had to do something but he had to make =
sure the other customers safe too.<br>
! What are you doing here? Boy, This is my lucky day.&quot; Craddock face s=
howed the hatred for the man who had just be given to him on a silver platt=
er.<br>
e. I took my father&#39;s name now. Lancer. It is Lancer now. You don&#39;t=
 want to do this. you will Get caught sure as anything.......<br><br>Craddo=
ck walked over to Johnny and put his gun to Johnny&#39;s stomach. &quot;Lan=
cer, now is it. Well that might just be a help to us. Boys put these people=
 in the safe. Johnny and I have some old times to catch up on don&#39;t we =
Johnny?&quot;<br>
in the safe and shut the door. They motioned to Johnny to turn around out t=
he front door. Now, Mr. Lancer we are going to walk out this door. We need =
to borrow a horse. You didn&#39;t happen to be nice and have your horse hit=
ched to the post do you?&quot; Craddock asked.<br>
nt of the merchantile.&quot; Johnny grinned. At least he was going to make =
it hard for them. He hoped.<br><br>Luck was not on Johnny&#39;s side this t=
ime as there was a horse tied up to the post outside of the bank. They all =
got on a horse and started out of town. Scott noticed Johnny on the horse a=
nd also noticed the man they had seen earlier. Why was his brother going ou=
t with them without telling him ? Well, Maybe Murdoch knew what was going o=
n.<br>
to?&quot; Murdock asked as he approached his son. &quot;Did he catch up wit=
h old friends of his?&quot; The older gentleman continued.<br>
the lawyers office. &quot;I&#39;m not really to sure. I don&#39;t know who =
they were but one of them had a gun trained..&quot; Before Scott could fini=
sh screams were heard emanating from the bank.<br>
.&quot; yelled a young lady, distressed at having been involved with the wh=
ole episode.<br><br>Murdock and Scott made their way to the frantic woman. =
Scott wrapped his arm around her, in an effort to calm her.<br>
quot; She sobbed and wept erratically as she buried her head into Scott&#39=
;s chest.<br><br>&quot;Ah, Miss?&quot; Murdock questioned, while he searche=
d the street for any sign of the Sheriff.<br>
head from Scott&#39;s sodden chest. &quot;I&#39;m a friend of Johnny&#39;s,=
 Mr Lancer and I&#39;m scared for him.&quot;<br><br>&quot;Can you tell me w=
hy? Has it got something to do with the men that just rode out of here?&quo=
t; enquired Murdock, a sudden bout of nausea threatening to take over.<br>
 his brow. &quot;Dad, let me .I&#39;ll sort it out. Why don t you go on ove=
r and see where Hank is.&quot;<br><br>Murdock nodded and took a handkerchie=
f from his breast pocket and mopped his forehead. He turned towards the liv=
ery, after being directed their buy one of the townsfolk.<br>
; Scott offered, apologizing for his father&#39;s absence. &quot;Maria, can=
 you tell me what happened. Do you recall how it started.&quot;<br><br>
Maria nodded her head and pointed tot eh seat just outside the bank. Scott =
took Maria by the arm as her escorted her to the seat.<br><br>&quot;I was i=
n the bank waiting to cash the payroll cheque when I saw Johnny enter, we&#=
39;ve been friends for quite some time now. He helped me get my buggy out o=
f the ditch one afternoon and I invited him to share lunch with me,&quot; M=
aria spoke, informing Scott of how she and Johnny had become acquaintances.=
ohnny was making a withdrawal when the men burst into the bank and robbed i=
t. Johnny tried to stop them, but they hit with a gun. When he fell the man=
 in charge kicked him and told him to get up.&quot; Concluded Maria before =
she broke down in tears. &quot;I&#39;m sorry I&#39;m not of much help.&quot=
;<br>
 best to deter the thieves. With your information and what I saw when Johnn=
y and I rode into town, it should be able to help the Sheriff,&quot; acknow=
ledged Scott, leaving Maria in the hands of one of the women who had offere=
d to comfort her.<br>
nk clerk to recount what had happened. He patiently listened and then added=
 what he had been told by Miss Anderson.<br><br>&quot;He wasn&#39;t hurt ba=
d enough that he couldn&#39;t rid, but Dad his ribs have only had a few wee=
ks to heal and depending on how hard he was kicked.&quot; Scott uttered, wh=
ile Murdock nodded his head in agreement.<br>
 on you for your assistance?&quot; The Sheriff asked, seeking visual approv=
al from Murdock.<br><br>&quot;Go Scott, go and find your brother , don t yo=
u go worrying about your old man now. Just bring Johnny home safely.&quot; =
Spoke Murdock, as he permitted his son to join the posse.<br>
k watching him and felt his skin began a slow creeping. There was something=
 about the man that had always reminded Johnny of a startled rattler.<br>
nough to set his teeth on edge.<br><br>&quot;So, Johnny...&quot; Craddock s=
aid, breaking the silence. &quot;How have ya been?&quot;<br><br>Slumping do=
wn against the log in pretended relaxation, Johnny tipped his hat down over=
 his eyes. &quot;Can&#39;t complain.&quot;<br>
#39;t ya? Not like the rest of us scrambling rough and readies.&quot; He le=
aned forward, narrowing the distance between them. &quot;So, how&#39;d ya d=
o it? Land yourself in the Lancer family, that is?&quot;<br>
ancer thinks a lot of ya, does he?&quot;<br><br>Careful, Johnny boy. There =
be trouble here.<br><br>&quot;Nah, I&#39;m his worst nightmare come to life=
.&quot;<br>
gerous. &quot;Imagine his surprise when a long forgotten bastard son shows =
up at his door. A son who makes his living with a gun. Fine up-standing man=
 of the land that he is. Damn near died right there on the spot. Been tryin=
g to dispose of his embarressment ever since.&quot;<br>
 a rather worthless commodity, doesn&#39;t it?&quot;<br><br>Johnny&#39;s ha=
nd crept back for his gun, and came up empty. Craddock had the damn thing. =
And was actually caressing the damn thing.<br>
rt 4 by Jan<br>Scott was glad Johnny had taught him how to track and also t=
he tricks he had showed him in case something happened to either of them. J=
ohnny had left a good trail. He only hoped they could catch up to him befor=
e he was hurt anymore.&nbsp;<br>
ur brother right Scott, DOn&#39;t know why those men would be heading this =
way. There isn&#39;t anything up here but the wilderness. Almost on Lancer =
land , Do you know of anyplace they could hold up ? &quot;<br>
 up here. About 15 miles due north of here. Unless they found it , I don&#3=
9;t think Johnny would be leading them there. I don&#39;t think they know w=
here they are going . Just thinking they could hide out in these woods and =
get lost.&quot;<br>
 here now.&quot;<br><br>&quot; I am not looking at tracks Sheriff. Johnny s=
howed me how if one of us were in trouble to make a trail no one else would=
 know it but we would. He did it more for me than him. But he is doing it k=
now. One thing the horse he is riding has a loose shoe and he is riding him=
 off the trail every 100 yds or so right here see? Another think he is doin=
g is when he does that he is breaking a twig off. See? I don&#39;t know whe=
re they are going but at least I know Johnny is alright so far.&quot; Scott=
 spoke.<br>
quot;friend&quot; that happened to fall into his lap. He rubbed his shoulde=
r as he thought of the months it took him to heal and the time he had spent=
 in that prison because of the man in front of him. Revenge would be sweet =
that was for sure. But he wanted it slow and he wanted Johnny to know what =
it was like to hurt and be held in a room that was no more than a box. One =
of the men came up to him.<br>
 we hold up there for a while. We can scout around and see what our options=
 are from there. &quot; Mitch said with the hope of getting out of the elem=
ents at least that much.<br>
les in it?<br><br>&quot; Well, I didn&#39;t go to far in but I didn&#39;t s=
ee where it ended .and yeah has a deep hole in there about 30 feet in I wou=
ld guess. Why you ask that?&quot;<br>
safe place to put our prisoner you know. A nice deep hole in a dark cave wo=
uld do well wouldn&#39;t it? What do you think Johnny boy. Want to spend th=
e rest of your life in a hole? Let&#39;s see how you feel about living in a=
 small space for a while. Come on boys let&#39;s go to the cave.&quot;<br>
ife. As they put him up on the horse , Craddock grabbed the reins so now he=
 lead the horse. Johnny could not pull the horse off to the side. He could =
now only hope that Scott could still follow the trail now.<br>
orse. With his hands tied behind him , Johnny could not cushion his fall mu=
ch and his side landed right on top of a sharp rock. He quickly rolled off =
of it as the pain of cracked ribs carried up through his head. Craddock did=
 not let him have any peace though as he landed a boot in the same area. ye=
lling at his men they grabbed Johnny and Craddock enjoyed placing a fist in=
 his captive&#39;s body. Inflicting injury on this young man was now just a=
 outlit for the anger that had built up in Craddock for the last 5 years. L=
ancer was going to pay for what he did to him. An unconsious Johnny was car=
ried into the cave. Craddock lead them in and looked down the hole. It was =
a good fifteen feet down and only five feet wide Not much room for a grown =
man to move around. He stepped aside and the men carried Johnny over the ho=
le and lowered him down as far as they could then let him go.&nbsp;<br>
 he left here boss. You sure did a number on him. What did he do to you?&qu=
ot; Dave asked with a smile on his face. He knew this man had to have done =
something bad and loved it when people got revenge.<br>
 me and then since I was the one caught I got 5 years in that stinken priso=
n. Well, now we will see how he likes prison. If he is lucky we might even =
feed him bread and water. If he behaves himself.&quot; Craddock laughs as h=
e leaves with his men to go to the front of the cave.<br>
ould tell someone was held by two other men as another one was in front of =
him. Scott looked at the horse prints and glazed out into the woods. &quot;=
Think, Scott , what is up there ahead ? &quot; he thought to his self. Tryi=
ng to remember the few times he had been this far, Scott kept trying to put=
 his finger on what he wasn&#39;t remembering. &quot;There is a cave about =
a mile from here.Come on Sheriff let&#39;s go check it out.&quot;&nbsp;<br>
wed his way back to the surface. After some time and the battle seemingly w=
on, he managed to open his eyes. Struggling for a grip on awareness he foug=
ht the pain the inhibited his head and body.<br>
ion. He panted heavily as he leaned against the wall of his earthen prison.=
 The mere act of moving just enough to sit up had cost him dearly. His head=
 pounded with an incessant throb - one that matched the steady ache in his =
left leg. His hands still bound he was limited as to what he could do; chec=
king on his injuries would have to wait.<br>
here,&quot; Johnny returned. His own voice not much more than a muffled whi=
sper. He braced himself against the wall and tried to push himself to a sta=
nding position. He tottered unevenly before his left leg folded, sending hi=
m back towards the surface once more. &quot;Scott,&quot; he feebly called b=
efore succumbing to darkness once more.<br>
d in a gesture to stop.<br><br>The Sheriff shrugged and cocked his head to =
the side trying in vain to detect any noise other than the heavy breathing =
of Scott Lancer and himself. He had all but given up when he heard a very q=
uite plea. &quot;It came from over there.&quot;<br>
de his way to the deep pit in the cave where his younger brother had been i=
ncarcerated. &quot;Damn I can&#39;t see,&quot; he cursed and lay on his sto=
mach at the top of the hole.<br>
help,&quot; the Sheriff said as he handed Scott a lit match. &quot;Wait a m=
inute, I think I&#39;ve found something that will help us out.&quot;<br>
ot;Damn it, brother you better answer me.&quot; The worry in Scott&#39;s vo=
ice evident.<br><br>&quot;Any luck?&quot; the Sheriff asked when he returne=
d.<br>
ott the lit torch. &quot;Should help you see better.&quot;<br><br>Outwardly=
 Scott tried to remain calm, while inwardly his stomach was doing giant fli=
ps at the thought of what he might see. He closed his eyes for a brief mome=
nt and inhaled deeply, filling his lungs. Unsure of his own ability to face=
 what he feared most he offered a silent prayer of hope.<br>
ice. He saw the silver chaps of his brother&#39;s black jeans and the rowel=
s on the left spur. He mentally noted the awkward angle that Johnny&#39;s l=
eft leg lay at. He saw Johnny slumped back against the dirt wall; no sign o=
f life. &quot;I got here too late.&quot;<br>
 to myself,&quot; Scott answered and pushed himself up onto his knees. &quo=
t;I&#39;ve got to get down there and get Johnny out. I need some rope and a=
nd....&quot;<br>
rope he had retrieved earlier from his own saddle. &quot;Already got it. No=
w what else do you need?&quot;<br><br>&quot;I&#39;ll let you know when I&#3=
9;m down there,&quot; Scott said, gesturing at the hole.<br>
ttle room to move he crouched beside his brother and placed his fingers on =
his neck, desperately feeling for a pulse. &quot;Yes,&quot; he jubilantly e=
xclaimed when he felt one.<br>
soon, brother.&quot;<br><br>True to his word, Scott and the sheriff pulled =
Johnny from the hole. When Scott was able to get a better look at his broth=
er he winced when he saw the gash above Johnny&#39;s right eye that still c=
ontinued to trickle blood.<br>
ot;The verdict is, Sheriff, that we need to get him back to town and to the=
 doctor as quick as we can. Feels like three maybe four broken ribs and his=
 left leg&#39;s broken as well.&quot;<br>
ully unaware. A warm blanket of darkness kept him free from pain and the wo=
 with interest from his nearby view point as the centre of all the anger he=
 had felt was being tended to. &quot;Damn you Lancer!&quot; he spat vehemen=
tly.<br>
to ask.<br><br>&quot;THAT!&quot; snapped Craddock and pointed towards Johnn=
y Lancer&#39;s limp form. &quot;He&#39;s gonna wish he had died in that hol=
e by the time I&#39;ve finished with him and his family.&quot;<br>
that Johnny is in no condition to ride. Could you go into town, pick up our=
 buckboard and bring back help?&quot;<br><br>&quot;Sure, Scott. I&#39;ll be=
 on my way and don&#39;t worry I&#39;ll tell Murdoch too.&quot;<br>
Sheriff rode off. &lt;&lt;So the Lancer kid is staying with Madrid? Maybe t=
his will work out yet. I wonder how much Murdoch Lancer will pay for his 2 =
boys?&gt;&gt;<br>
_______________________________<br><br>Scott put his own bedroll down on th=
e cave floor, then he covered Johnny with his own bedroll. Johnny hadn&#39;=
t stirred since his removal from the hole, but Scott didn&#39;t like the co=
ol, clammy feel of his skin. Shock could be a problem. &lt;&lt;Maybe I shou=
ld have tried to get him into town. What if he dies? Murdoch would be devas=
tated.&gt;&gt;<br>
uch opposites, but he cared about the young man and would do whatever he co=
uld to protect him. &lt;&lt;Protect him, that&#39;s funny. ME, protect John=
ny Madrid!&gt;&gt;<br>
y, can you hear me?&quot;<br><br>Johnny looked at his brother;but there see=
med to be no recognition, then he gave a slight smile. &quot;Scott?&quot; h=
e whispered.<br>
eriff&#39;s gone for help. You&#39;ll be fixed up in no time.&quot;<br><br>=
Just then Scott saw fear in Johnny&#39;s eyes, &quot;Craddock?&quot;<br>
;<br><br>&quot;Not that snake. He&#39;d want to make sure I was dead.&quot;=
___________<br><br>Craddock and his 2 men made their way down to the cave.<=
pt for a dripping stream. Just then Scott heard a crunch. He pulled his gun=
 just in time to fire at the first man. A howl of pain told Scott that the =
bullet had done its job. Then the other man started firing. Because of the =
ricochet, Scott was afraid a bullet might hit Johnny so he covered him with=
 his body. Suddenly he felt a sting on one arm; but before he could react, =
he felt a gun pressed to his back.<br>
id as he was told.<br><br>&quot;So you&#39;re Madrid&#39;s brother? You don=
&#39;t look much like him.&quot; Scott said nothing. &quot;It don&#39;t mat=
ter. Murdoch Lancer will be glad to pay to get YOU back.&quot;<br>
;Oh, I&#39;m sure Lancer will come here himself and I just know he&#39;ll p=
ay a handsome sum for you--in one piece.&quot;<br><br>&quot;What about John=
ny?&quot;<br>
thing for him first.<br><br>Cold hit Scott&#39;s stomach. &quot;You&#39;re =
going to kill him?&quot;<br><br>&quot;Sure after what he did to me. If you =
hadn&#39;t interfered, he&#39;d be rotting down that hole. Now I&#39;ll hav=
e to do something else. Maybe I&#39;ll kill you and your father while he wa=
tches.&quot;<br>
eaded. He swayed slightly. &quot;Can I sit down/&quot;<br><br>&quot;Sure. M=
ake yourself comfortable, but don&#39;t try anything or you&#39;re dead.&qu=
ot;<br>
e, the money means less than hurting that scum Madrid.&quot;<br><br>After a=
 few moments, Johnny moaned again, &quot;Scott? Water/&quot;<br><br>Scott l=
ooked at Craddock. &quot;NO. &quot;Please?&quot; NO!&quot;<br>
are you beginning to realize that I&#39;m the one in control now? You&#39;l=
l regret betraying me.&quot;<br>
e the cave. &quot;Scott? Are you in there? It&#39;s me, Murdoch.&quot;<br><=
>&quot;Murdoch, come in alone.&quot;<br><br>Murdoch Lancer entered. As soon=
 as he saw the men with guns, he stopped. &quot;Scott, what&#39;s going on?=
&quot;<br>
l bring me $10,000 in 2 hours.&quot;<br><br>&quot;2 hours? Where can I get =
that kind of money in so short a time/&quot;<br><br>&quot;Oh yes, I guess t=
he bank is a bit empty, but if you want your 2 fine young men back, you&#39=
;ll get it some way.&quot;<br>
r turned to leave. Craddock yelled after him, &quot;Get it here by 5 or you=
 can use the money for 2 funerals.&quot;<br>______________________________<=
br>
Sheriff wasn&#39;t planning any tricks while Lancer was gone.<br><br>______=
_________________________<br><br>Jumbled thoughts filled Scott&#39;s brain.=
 He knew he had to do something before Murdoch&#39;s return, but there were=
 2 guns against his none. He knew he needed some kind of diversion so he co=
uld jump Craddock. But what?<br>
med one ready for use, but knew that it would be a desperate move and there=
 was always the danger of Johnny being hurt again.<br><br>&quot;Craddock?&q=
uot;<br>
Oh, all right, but one false move and Madrid&#39;s dead.&quot;<br><br>Scott=
 walked to the hole and relieved himself. He then returned to his place.<br=
er some minutes, Craddock began to squirm.<br>
u if you try anything.&quot;<br><br>Craddock moved over to the hole. He unb=
uttoned his fly. The sound of water and his sigh of relief gave Scott his c=
lue that it was time to make his move.<br>
 fired at the noise and started a small avalanche of stones. .<br><br>The n=
oise of the falling rocks covered Scott&#39;s move towards Craddock, but in=
stinctively Craddock turned to see the young man launch himself at the outl=
aw.&nbsp;<br>
 forward, his body slamming into Craddock. The force drove the two men, bod=
ies now entwined, towards the back of the dim cave. Scott wasn&#39;t sure w=
hether the terrified, choking scream he heard was his own or that of the mo=
nster who was now a part of him. All Scott knew was that they were falling;=
 tumbling into a black abyss.<br>
he stony limestone of the cave&#39;s floor. An almost deafening silence was=
 the last impression Scott had as he slipped into blackness.<br><br>Conscio=
usness returned slowly, the fog lingering but lifting as Scott became aware=
 of his surroundings... *Craddock. A gun shot. Their bodies intertwined and=
 falling. They must have fallen into the damned hole,* Scott realized.&nbsp=
;<br>
he cramped, dark space. As he tried to sit up he felt a flaccid form undern=
eath him. Frantically Scott attempted to push himself away from Craddock&#3=
9;s body. His arms didn&#39;t want to cooperate Scott dimly&nbsp;<br>
realized, as darkness threatened to overwhelm him once more. Biting back th=
e bile that threatened to rise and ignoring the growing pain in his left ar=
m, Scott managed to force his body into a sitting position. Taking a deep b=
reath, he attempted to get a bearing on his condition. His left arm ached a=
nd felt strangely heavy but at least he was able to move it. His right arm =
hung uselessly at his side, but curiously there was no pain. He reached out=
 with his left hand, groping in the darkness. Felling Craddock&#39;s chest =
below him, his hand continued moving upward. Craddock&#39;s head was twiste=
d at an odd angle and Scott realized the man&#39;s neck was broken. Relief =
washed over Scott as he realized this Satan of a man could no longer harm h=
is brother...<br>
urt and alone above him. He shook his head in frustration and muttered into=
 the darkness, &quot;Way to go Scott, a lot of good you are to Johnny now.&=
quot; Determinedly Scott managed to stand, pushing his back against the dir=
t wall and forcing his legs to push up under him. Once up Scott stepped awa=
y from Craddock&#39;s body and moved slowly along the circular wall of the =
hole. Something brushed against Scott&#39;s face and he automatically recoi=
led from the object. &quot;Come on Scott, relax&quot; he spoke out loud as =
he moved back towards the object. *The rope!* he realized. It was the rope =
the sheriff had used to pull Johnny from the hole earlier. Scott gave a tug=
 on the ragged strand of hemp with his left arm, ignoring the pain that sho=
t towards his shoulder. It was still tied off to the boulder above he reali=
zed happily.&nbsp;<br>
ickly turned into despair when he realized he&#39;d never be able to climb =
up it with his two bad arms. Exhausted and desolate Scott sagged against th=
e wall. He closed his eyes and shook his head groggily. Then from above he =
heard the quiet but frightened voice of his younger brother.&nbsp;<br>
#39;s weak voice drifted off.&nbsp;<br><br>*No!* Scott thought. His brother=
 Johnny was always the strong one - the one who had taught him the ways of =
this harsh western land - the one who protected him. And now his brother ne=
eded him.<br>
 hand. In the narrow hole Scott managed to press his back against the wall =
and stretch his long legs across to the far wall. Then, one-handed, he slow=
ly inched upward; pain and sweat slowing his progress but doggedly continui=
ng. Abruptly the wall ended and Scott fell back onto the cold floor of the =
upper cave. Scott lie exhausted, his body utterly depleted, the only sound =
the ragged intake of his breath. Using a reserve of strength he didn&#39;t =
truly possess Scott rolled to his knees and managed to stand. He staggered =
and knelt beside his brother who lie motionless; his face grey, his body un=
moving.&nbsp;<br>
Please God.&quot; Scott laid his hand on Johnny&#39;s pale, damp forehead a=
nd leaned down over his brother&#39;s face. &quot;Johnny=96hey little broth=
er=96I&#39;m here, it&#39;s ok, I&#39;m here,&quot; Scott spoke gently. Slo=
wly, Johnny&#39;s eyes opened, revealing two slits of vivid blue. Scott&#39=
;s heard soared as Johnny gave him a tired, half smile and reached a weak h=
and toward his.<br>
akily sat down beside Johnny. He pulled Johnny&#39;s head into his lap, squ=
eezing his hand. &quot;Everything&#39;s gonna be fine, it&#39;s gonna be fi=
ne.&quot; Scott&#39;s head fell forward, exhaustion finally taking its toll=
.<br>
onsciousness.<br><br>&quot;Murdoch? We&#39;re over here,&quot; Scott replie=
rt 7<br>
t list. I&#39;ve decided to try and get it finished, and am offering it to =
the readers as yet another wandering wren. If you would like to add the nex=
t bit, please do. You can send your response to the list or to me privately=
 at <a href=3D"mailto:makebelievearchive at gmail.com">makebelievearchive at gmai=
l.com</a> and I will send it out to the interested lists. When sending a cl=
ip, please remember to include the wren name and chapter. If this wren bran=
ches into a tree, include the branch. If you change something that will eff=
ect the headers...a new fandom, gen to slash whatever, please make note of =
that as well so I can make the changes in the headers here and on the archi=
ve. If this story does become slash, I&#39;ll probably split it into two br=
anches and do a gen and a slash, the slash story would only be sent to the =
slash lists, the general branch to the gen lists.<br>
w.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/index.php">http://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin=
/index.php</a> accepts all fandoms, all genres. Come create your personal p=
age with us<br>
Need a plot bunny? <a href=3D"http://community.livejournal.com/adoptaplotbu=
nny/">http://community.livejournal.com/adoptaplotbunny/</a><br>ready to com=