[Makebelieve] Fic: Brothers of the Blood 30

makebelieve archive makebelievearchive at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 12:10:12 PDT 2008

Previous chapters
http://www.squidge.org/peja/cgi-bin/viewstory.php?sid=37198&warning=FRM

CHAPTER THIRTY

Dalton's face was a grim mask of determination as he materialized in the
center of the control room. Suspecting danger, his frozen glance scanned the
room, but his sudden appearance hadn't even caused a mild stir among the
people in the room.

The techs were too distracted, scurrying in and out, intent on their own
duties. Duties that included carrying heavily loaded boxes or stacks of
digitized reports out of the fast emptying chamber.

For all intents and purposes, it looked like Adric had called an emergency
bug-out.

And these people were damn scared.

As far as Dalton was concerned, there was plenty of reason to be afraid.
Unless he had missed his guess, something bad was coming down. Something big
bad. And these people had been haphazardly thrust into the arena like
abandoned fawns in a firing range.

His dragon gaze swept over the swarming crowd with intent now, searching out
the man he had come to speak with.

There.

Adric had hidden himself away in a remote corner of the room, and even now,
was deeply engrossed in a private conversation with Paris and Nykita.

Focusing his intense stare on their lips, Dalton discovered their concerns
were centered on the latest rash of accidents.

No conspiracy in that.

"Adric, we must have that talk. Now."

Adric looked up from his whispered conversation, revealing the raw torment
burning in his haunted glance. Nothing surprising in that, either. Adric's
fatal flaw had always been the pain he felt for his people.

Curious, Dalton turned his attention to Nykita. Her returning glare was
filled with biting hatred. A hint of honesty in the madness? One thing was
certain, that one was not glad to see him.

His glance moved toward Paris. The man's nervous gaze shifted away. Bad
sign, that. Not good at all.

As he watched, Adric spoke a quick apology to his companions, then joined
Dalton, nodding toward the corridor. "Walk with me a bit."

"Where you lead...."

"Yeah. Right," Adric snorted in bad humor and moved out of the tracking room
into the corridor. He did not speak again, did not look anywhere but
directly in front of him, as he guided them away from the rapid flow of
burden laden people.

At the end of the corridor, he turned into a quiet room. "This should do
well enough," Adric said, sauntering across the room. He stopped before the
wide observation window, stuffing his big hands into his hip pockets.

And said nothing.

"Want to tell me about it," Dalton prompted softly. "Or should I guess?" he
added with a wry smile.

"I just bet you could, too," Adric said, dragging a thick cigar from his
breast pocket. He bit off the tip and set a match to the cigar, sucking the
rich, spicy smoke deep into his lungs. "Before you go all chill on me," he
said through a stream of smoke, "I'm gonna tell you, I've done what I had to
do. Was no other course in my mind."

"Ah," Dalton said, nodding. "And what exactly have you done?"

Adric sighed. "You're determined to make this hard, aren't you?" He clasped
his hands loosely behind his back, rocking on the balls of his feet. "I'm
evacuating the base, Dal. Clearing my people the hell out of here while I
still have people to move."

Dalton hid his pleased smile beneath a throaty cough. "From what I've just
seen, I thought as much. Is that wise, do you think?"

"What choice do I have?" He laughed bitterly. "Oh,I'll grant, this might
well mean a murderer escapes, but if I wait until we find this madman, I'd
be endangering every life here. I have to do this."

"Do you?"

"Dammit, Dal. My people are being murdered. We're being destroyed by an
assassin who might even have you topped in ruthless tactics."

A flicker of anger darkened Dalton's mesmerizing gaze. "For your future
information, no one beats me in the game of ruthlessness. I'm too well
trained in what I do."

Frustrated, Adric clamped his teeth down on the cigar. "This idea of a
stationary base was stupid. Stupid. It made us a sitting target, easily
accessible to infiltration. Based as we are, we have simply become too damn
vulnerable."

"Very likely. I have to wonder why you didn't take that into account when
you decided on establishing a permanent base."

Adric raked his fingers through his long brown hair. "Oh, we suspected there
would be problems when we set up the operation, but we didn't realize how
quickly we could be terminated once we'd been discovered. No, that we never
expected."

"So, now you're moving your people. Very commendable. But, what about you,
Adric? Where do you plan to go?"

Adric glanced at Dalton briefly, then turned back to the window. "Many of
the people in my organization have contacts in the higher echelons of the
Coalition. I intend to have them infiltrate the enemy. Once in, they will
funnel vital information out to me, enabling us to stage more effective
raids."

"Dangerous, but an interesting maneuver if you can makeit work. I'd be
curious to know how many others will know the exact whereabouts of your
operatives? Who will their contacts be on the outside?"

"Just me." Adric drew a long, slow breath. "It seems best not to trust
anyone else at this point."

"What about your woman? Aren't you going to tell her your plans?"

"Nicki won't be told anything. I'm adopting a page from your book, haurride.
Trust breeds contempt. Isn't that the rule you live by?"

"Trust leads to sentiment, actually. Once that fatal emotion gets hold of
you, you're a dead man." Dalton smiled darkly. "I am glad you are finally
beginning to learn to survive."

Adric returned the smile, tipping his shaggy head in a curt nod. "I have a
good teacher."
He chewed on the cigar in silence for a moment, then rolled it to the other
side of his mouth. "My people are leaving at a steady rate. They'll all be
gone within a couple of hours."

Dalton crooked a brow. "I haven't heard any ships leaving the base."

"Their going overland." Adric took the cigar from between his teeth and
stared at the glowing tip. "I hadn't dared send them out by ship. Not after
what happened when you took the Hellequin up."

Dalton nodded. "You're doing the right thing. It's what I was going to
recommend. Now, I'm still waiting to hear your personal plans. Where will
you go?"

"With you. If you'll have me." Adric caught the corner of his lower lip in
his teeth. "How about it? Have I proven myself trustworthy? Does the
alliance continue?"

"You have given this a lot of thought?"

"Yeah. I have at that." He stared at the harsh beauty of the lemon-yellow
forest outside the observation window. "It really is something, don't you
think? This land?"

Dalton joined him at the window. To his mind, the view was nothing to write
home about. But then, there was not much that was.

"A planet is a planet."

"Ah, but not this one, Dal. Look at that view. I mean, really look at it.
That's the first thing I saw when Nicki and I arrived here. That forest
right there. It reminded me of Earth from the first moment. That's why I
chose to start over here."

"You let a piece of land, a view, influence you?"

Adric swallowed noisily, shrugging. "We all need our reminders, Dal. And I
want to bring my people home some day. I want to return to Earth, but not
just any Earth. I want to go back to a free planet. A welcoming planet."

"All hail the conquering hero," Dalton said dryly. "It's a pretty dream, but
that's all it is. A dream."

"I'll die trying to give that dream life."

"Yes, Adric, I expect you probably will."

Adric eyed him suspiciously. "So what's your answer, Dal? Will you work with
me? I need an answer. Now."

"I suppose you do."

Frustration etched deep lines in Adric's battle-worn features. "Dammitall,
don't play games with me."

Dalton arched his brow, giving him a look of feigned innocence. "Am I
playing games?"

* * * * *

Adric clenched his fist, crumbling the cigar between his fingers.

Why was nothing ever easy? Especially negotiating with Dalton. The blasted
man seemed to feel a simple discussion was only successful if it escalated
into a vocal fencing match that left his opponent exhausted, both physically
and mentally. He actually prided himself on his ability to skillfully avoid
giving a anyone an easy, straight answer, willing to answer with the entire
truth only when it was torn from him by bloodied fingernails. "I've been
talking to Paris, Dal."

A dark scowl crossed Dalton's rugged features. "Don't say too much, Adric."

Adric snorted. "It may already be to late. You must realize if it comes to a
choice between us, Paris will leave your command. He doesn't trust you, my
haurride. He'll only go with you if I'm there."

"There is that danger."

Adric drew his fingers across his mouth. This wasn't going to be easy.
"Look, Paris is valuable to both of us. A talented thief would be hard to
replace. Even foryou."

"You underestimate him," Dalton said softly. "Paris is far more than just a
talented thief."

"You think so?" Adric pursed his lips thoughtfully, then nodded. "Perhaps
you're right. He's been influential in getting us both out of some damn
tight spots. Spots where we'd have been killed if not for him." He paused.
"Do I go with you, or not?"

A dangerous half smile tugged at the corner of Dalton's lips as he crossed
his arms over his burly chest andleaned his shoulder against the wall. "This
sounds remarkably like blackmail."

Adric grimaced. "Blackmail isn't a nice word, Dal."

"But it is an accurate one, isn't it?"

Adric shrugged, his eyes shying away.

"I'll make you a bargain."

"I've had a gut full of bargains."

"What you fill your gut with is of little importance to me," Dalton snapped,
jerking out of his lazy slouch, and stabbed two hard fingers into Adric's
tender chest. "We'll leave this planet together if you can guarantee Paris
will come. More, he must follow me without question. Without question,
Adric. Or there can be no bargain."

"That's a mighty stiff demand. Why do you value his obedience so highly? Why
can't you settle for his presence?"

"I never settle," Dalton ground out, then sighed. "Listen, I do indeed
recognize his significance in my crew, but I also know his liabilities. His
amenable obedience will remove a small portion of those undesirable
characteristics."

"You hope to enslave him to your will," Adric snarled, shaking his head.
"That's the very thing we're fighting to stop."

Dalton chuckled softly. "I swear I must be the most misunderstood man alive.
I don't want to steal his free will. I simply want him more prone to listen
to reason. If he thinks his behavior will influence your presence on the
Hellequin, he might be more inclined to avoid some of his harmful excesses."

"Then this so called bargain of yours is nothing more than a sham meant to
gain the upper hand with him?"

"Oh, no. The bargain will be upheld," Dalton snapped. "Understand. My people
compliment me. They are extensions of me, like my arms or my legs.

"I am the mind behind the body. I put their talents to use. Unite them into
a single, thinking entity. With their cooperation, I have far greater
strength then I would have alone. That makes us a force not easily reckoned
with. The kind of squad you claimed you want us to be."

"And I meant it," Adric said, suddenly curious. "But why is Paris so damn
important to you? Why go to this end to command his obedience?"

Dalton hesitated, taking a turn at studying the forest outside their window.
Then, "Paris, like the others of my crew, has an ability that sets him apart
from your common rabble. He possesses a skill I am not willing to do
without. His removal would drastically decrease my success." He turned his
chilled gaze back on his friend. "I mean what I say, Adric. If he refuses to
obey me there will be no place for you on the Hellequin."

Adric stared, open-mouthed, at the man standing before him. Dalton had
spoken in his own odd way of trust. Oh, it was a trust he'd hotly deny if
anyone was fool enough to challenge him, but there was trust in his words.
Trust that bound him to his people all the same. And as far as Adric was
concerned, that made a world of difference.

"Paris will be ready to leave on your command."

Dalton smiled grimly. "You have him firmly in hand, then? A pity. But it is
what I required, is it not?"

Adric stuck his hand out, offering it to Dalton. "I'd be happy to accept
your hand to seal our bargain."

Dalton stared at the offending hand, hesitating. His guarded gaze lifted to
Adric's and he chuckled. "You have it."

He gripped Adric's hand quickly but firmly, then retreated from the contact
with a speed that from anyone else that would have been the height of
rudeness.

Smiling broadly, Adric moved back to the window. He craned his neck, tipping
his glance upward. "I'll be glad to get back to the stars. I'm not
comfortable being planetbound for long. It gives me too much time too think.
Too remember all those people we've lost in the rebellion. Good people like
Hall. Gina. Lanar." Adric closed his eyes, leaning his forehead against the
chilled glass. "I loved her, Dal."

"I never doubted it," Dalton said softly. "Perhaps you would have been more
clever if you'd taken her away before you got involved so deeply in the
rebellion. She would have willing gone with you, you know? And if you'd gone
into hiding instead of fighting your personal demon, the monster Coalition,
she might still be alive."

Adric nodded. Lanar had been that kind of woman. She had devoured all life
had to offer, always laughing, always ready to defend his compulsions, no
matter how insane. "She was special."

"Yes, she was that." Dalton shrugged. "The difference between us, Adric, is
that I expect the violent deaths of our companions. I do not like to watch
them die, but I conform to what I cannot change. You must learn to keep
regret a diminutive part of life. Brooding on the past only serves to make
one weak."

"Dalton..."

He shook his head, raising his hands before him. "Sentiment is a weakness
none of us can afford. Mark my words. If you let sentiment get hold of you,
it will blind you to reality, it will kill you."

"Dal...."

Dalton stepped back. "Enough. This self-destructive wallowing in the past is
not for me." His cobra's gaze slashed out at Adric, freezing him out.
"Finish up down here quickly. We're leaving Euzkadi in four hours. With or
without you."

Adric nodded, knowing the moment had been lost. "I'll be ready."

Dalton lifted the recall band to his lips, keying a link to the ship. "I'm
finished here. Bring me up, Ian. Now."

end part 30

The wwomb archive http://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/index.php accepts all
fandoms, all genres. Come create your personal page with us
Need a plot bunny? http://community.livejournal.com/adoptaplotbunny/
ready to commit ten minutes a day to writing?