[FFML] [fanfic][teaser][Ranma/MKR] Fire in the Water, Act 4 (coming soon!)

Mythril Moth mythrilmoth at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 19 18:12:38 PDT 2009

I'm coming close to the completion of Act Four of Fire in the Water. It has
been a VERY long time in the making, and it is perhaps the single largest
installment of the story to date.

It's still going to be about a week to ten days, by my estimate, until the
first draft is finished. I have a ridiculously huge battle scene to write,
and a couple of other bits that aren't quite fleshed out.

However, seeing as I am now very near completion of this particular
installment, I thought it'd be a good time to post a teaser.

Acts 1-3 of Fire in the Water can be found at:

http://www.mythrilmoth.net

Please enjoy this teaser, and I hope to have the full draft posted soon.

* * * * * * *

"Damage report!"

"We've lost main power! Life support at critical levels! Defensive systems
down to twenty percent!"

"They're breaking pursuit! Negative radar contact from enemy patrol!"

"Of course, they don't want to get too close to Cephiro yet. It's too
soon..."

"Eagle, we've got a real problem here!"

"Report!"

"We've broken through the defensive perimeter, but..."

"Critical damage to the hull! We're crumpling!"

"Guidance system failure! Helm's not responding!"

"We're gonna crash!"

"Divert all power to the defense screens on the launch bay! Everyone, head
for FTO and GTO! It's our only chance!"

As night fell over the palace of Cephiro, the Autozam battleship NSX
streaked down from the heavens, a bolt of fire in the deep purple-black
sky...

* * * * * * *

Ranma's senses faded to fuzz for but a moment; sharp vision and hearing
returned soon after his mind locked onto his surroundings.

He almost wished they hadn't.

In a small, rural village of low wooden and rough stone houses, people in
shabby peasant clothes were running around screaming. Shots cracked like
thunder; men in canvas breeches and jackets marched down a gravel-strewn
lane, rifles held ready.

A child began to scream and cry as her mother stumbled and fell. Ranma's
anger built as blood pooled beneath the fallen woman; one of the armed
soldiers approached, examined her, then aimed his rifle at the child. "Your
mother has died because she supports the false ideals of this world. You
need not join her. Come with us, and we will--"

*Get the HELL away from her, you fuckin' bastard!* Ranma yelled. The
soldiers snapped around, rifles at the ready...

"By the gods...a ghost?!"

"Don't be an idiot, it's an astral projection!" the apparent leader snapped.
"One of the mages at the Palace is scrying us!"

"A scryer...of course. BEGONE, or there shall be more deaths, and they shall
be on your head!"

Ranma growled, frustration at his helplessness building. "You hurt one more
person, and I'll personally see to it every last one of you burns in hell."

"Only the oppressors of this world shall perish in flames!" the lead soldier
barked.

The fallen woman suddenly rose to her knees, coughing blood. "Mama!" her
child cried, dropping beside her, wrapping small arms around her neck.

The injured woman shuddered as she struggled to stand. "Run," she rasped.
"Don't worry about me...just get away...be safe..."

"Mama, don't...no! I'm not gun' leave you!"

The woman stood, turning to face the soldier who had shot her. Her eyes
burned with rage. "How could you..."

"You defied me," the armed man replied. "My will in this matter is absolute.
The Marquis--"

"To hell with your Marquis!" the woman spat. "I..." She broke off,
stumbling; she sank to her knees, coughing blood.

"MAMA!" the little girl screamed. She ran up to the soldier, beating on his
leg with small fists. "PAPA, WHY? WHY PAPA?!"

*...Papa?* Ranma echoed, horrified. *You're...this child's father? And...you
SHOT your OWN WIFE?!*

"She defied the will of the new ruler of this land!" the soldier declared
hotly. "It is her own f--" His protests ceased abruptly as he clutched at
his throat; his rifle fell to the gravel beside his dying wife. A strangled,
raspy gurgle escaped him as he sank to his knees.

*You piece of SHIT!* Ranma roared. The soldier's eyes bulged in their
sockets.

"Papa?" the small child asked fearfully.

*Hurt anyone again...*

Suddenly, Ranma could no longer hear. The world before him faded to a fuzzy
grey. After a moment, color and muted sound returned.

The soldier was seated beside his wife, who had now died. His rifle lay
forgotten in the gravel; his daughter was screaming and wailing. The other
soldiers looked confused and terrified; some of them staring white-faced in
Ranma's direction.

A door burst open, and another wave of armed soldiers spilled out into the
streets. A shot rang out, and the screaming child fell still.

Feeling sick, Ranma focused his will on returning to the palace. The scene
before him faded away into ether...

FIRE IN THE WATER

Ranma 1/2 X Magic Knight Rayearth

written by Mythril Moth

Disclaimers:

Ranma 1/2 property of Takahashi Rumiko, Shogakukan, VIZ Communications.

Magic Knight Rayearth property of CLAMP, Kodansha, Media Blasters.

Characters and situations borrowed from or mirroring other series copyright
the respective owners and used without permission.