[FFML] Mercedes Lacky reverses stance on Fanfiction

H. Torrance Griffin htgriffin at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 1 06:41:11 PST 2009

--- On Sat, 10/31/09, whimsy <fripon at earthlink.net> wrote:

> So what anime crossovers would work with Lackey's
> works?  The only
> ones that I have read are the Arrows trilogy and some of
> the Valdemar
> stories and the Diana Tregarde series.  The latter I
> recommend as very
> good modern fantasy and far better than the Anita Blake
> series by
> Laurel Hamilton which has devolved from decent modern
> fantasy to poor
> sexual fantasy in the course of which her protagonist
> becomes a Mary-
> Sue.

Read the Elemental Masters (Edwardian retellings of various Fairy Tales) and 500 Kingdoms (just plain funny) works.

> I don't see a good fit between the Arrows world and our
> favorite base
> for crossovers, Ranma 1/2, but if someone wants to surprise
> me, go
> ahead.  (Ranma finds himself in Valdemar where he is
> carried off by a
> Firecat ... too silly, too silly.)  A fantasy anime
> would seem a
> natural, but the only ones that I am particularly familiar
> with
> involve real magic

So do the Valdemar books... eventually.

> although the magic of Fushigi Yugi is
> much lower
> powered than that of Slayers. But it would be funny to see
> the rather
> restrained behavior of Arrows characters dealing with Linna
> Inverse,
> her loud manner including table manner (she has manners?),
> flexible
> ethics, and her lack of understanding of the term
> "overkill".

I just want to see her run into Kerowyn... or rather Need.

As for your question?  Oddly enough, Claymore could work if we presume contenents far enough across the sea.

HTG