[FFML] [R1/2] Hearts of Ice, Epilogue

Chester Castañeda chester.castaneda at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 04:24:20 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Krista Fisk<kristaperry at comcast.net> wrote:
> 13 years.
>
> I started this fic in July of 1996.  And now, with the exception of
> whatever editing I do thanks to whatever C&C is provided, it is done.
> Complete.  Over.  The story I set out to tell has been told.
>
> Hopefully you enjoy it.

Very much so, but another plot bunny occurred to me during these last
few lines... :)

Your epilogue rocks, btw.

!
!
!
!

!
!
!
!
!
!

>    Yuki-onna kept a silent vigil over her mortal friends.
>
>    Since parting with them in the Chinese wilderness, rather than
> returning to her realm in the Kami plane, Yuki-onna had chosen instead
> to follow.  Akane and Ranma did not know, and Yuki-onna preferred it
> that way.
>
>    It helped that spring was slowly turning to summer, and the Snow
> Woman found that in the warming climate she was barely able to summon
> the strength to manifest herself as a physical presence.  But she
> watched them all the same, a voiceless, invisible guardian from an
> encroaching danger that they did not imagine.
>
>    For she knew that, someday, *he* would come.  She had known it from
> the moment she realized the means by which Ranma had returned from
> death.  He would come to claim what had been stolen out from under him
> in his own domain.

Meanwhile, in the afterlife of beasts, a battle was raging between a feral force
 of nature most foul and a creature who had obtained immortality's gifts without
their maddening consequences. Claw and talon flew at a rapid pace as the demon
most foul found  out about his most special Ranma's little secret of
cheating death.
The two beasts knew each other well, and no love was lost between them; they
only shared blood, flesh, tears, and pain as they waged their feral war.

He would return and claim what was his. Or, at the very least, see to
it that Ranma
Saotome lived up to his unholy potential. The boy was the type of soul
that could
defy destiny, fate, and even mortality itself to achieve his ends, and
on those terms,
Ranm a and he were very much alike. Soon, they would be one, and even Emma-o
would dare not stand up against the fulfilled potential of his future host.

The god-bird known as the Phoenix was not an easy opponent to defeat.
But as soon
as the Shadow Cat was able to take hold of the fires of resurrection,
then so much for
Ranma Saotome's happy ending. It was just a matter of time.

***

...Yeah, I know, sucky writing, but that's the first thing that
occurred to me when Yuki-onna mentioned Ranma's means of going back to
life. Thought she was referring to the Shadow Cat. If Shadow Cat's
more beast than demon, then he too should be able to take advantage of
going into the beast afterlife and battling the Phoenix for the right
to be resurrected.  :P

Other than that, what more is there left to be said? I think I said it
all in my previous review. ^_^ Glad to see this end, Krista. Looking
forward to any future projects you're involved in.

So what's the next great fanfic epic to be finished or at least
continued? Lines of Destiny? Girl Days? Sailor Moon 4200? Ronin
Summer? This is a wonderful precedent, if anything. :P