[FFML] [Mai Hime, Future] The Summer of Her Discontent (3 and 4)

John Biles john at biles.us
Sun Aug 23 15:07:30 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 1:57 PM, T M <allbait10 at gmail.com> wrote:

> More fascinating writing; I'm really enjoying this series. Natasha's POV in
> particular was highly amusing. I'm really liking her character.
>
> Sorry if this is a bit late. :)

Better late than never.

> >We looked a bit and couldn't find the other end of the tunnel or warren
> >or whatever, so we blocked it up with dirt and rocks.
>
> >"I wonder how you tell if something is a weakpoint," Erica said.
>
> Do the kids actually know the term "weakpoint?"

I don't see why not.  Anyone who has seen a martial arts movie probably
knows that concept and there's multiple martial arts senseis in this family.

> >"I think the due date is Saturday. I need...dammit," Gin said. "Ahah!
> >Koyabishi-san, can I kidnap you this afternoon once classes end?"
> >
> >She blinked, stared at him, and said, "What?"
> >
> >"You're the closest thing I have to someone with Akira-sensei's body
> >type," he said. "If I use Natasha, she'll end up unrecognizable."
>
> Why is Gin calling her "sensei?"

It's  his way of showing respect to a superior artist who gave him some good
advice and put him to work.

> >"It's my apology for insulting her," he said.
> >
> >"For...oh, that." I frowned at the memory, but quickly cheered back
> >up.
>
> I don't remember when this insult occured.

This was in A Dream of Flight when he was trying to get away from her and
insulted her and Shun whipped his ass.

> >"First reports about twenty or so years ago, slowly growing more
> >common," she said. "Scientists can't figure it out, but we can find the
> >edges and mark them. Bastards moved the buoys."
>
> Shouldn't GPS make moving buoys useless?

Doh, good point.

> >I had rolled with it, or I wouldn't be okay. She's very strong and I am
> >pretty sure she's likely become a battle princess. Not sure which element,
> >though. Given the naginata...wood? For the haft?
>
> When did the kids start associating elements with the powers?

Good point.

> >Watching Aunt Akane work with Kagami, it suddenly struck me that Aunt
> >Akane may be showing off in part because she has no real idea any more of
> >where the barrier is between what humans can actually do normally and what
> >battle princess can do. She doesn't go to tournaments, doesn't even watch
> >much in the way of action movies.
>
> True, she probably doesn't have a good idea of what normal people can do.
> Her frame of reference for a "skilled" fighter will be Mikoto and Akira,
> who
> are pushing the upper limits of human ability. And if she's still losing to
> Akira in her training matches, that probably further lowers her estimation
> of her abilities. After all, if she still loses to a "normal" person, she
> can't be _that_ good...

Yep.

> >She looked at me curiously, though; was she looking at my chest or did I
> >hallucinate that? Sometimes, I don't understand Junko at all. I looked
> >down at myself, but my body looked perfectly normal, and then Junko kicked
> >me in the stomach while I was distracted, so I gave up thinking about that
> >and focused on not being hit.
>
> So, Junko thinks he's a girl? Interesting.

Heh.

> >Or have the strength to actually cut a cargo ship
> >open.
>
> I would think mech designed to cut open armored combat mechs could handle a
> civilian hull.

Doh, yes.  Though modern cargo ships are pretty huge which is what was on my
mind.

> >Tokugawa scored a second place for set design; their fireplace was
> >really impressive, I had to admit; I guess they kept practicing after last
> >year's disaster. Mind you, I suspect they performed last because of fears
> >they'd set themselves on fire AGAIN.
> >
> >We got a rock.
>
> A rock as the fireplace?

It's a way of saying 'we got nothing'

> >"Crystal tasked me to tell you that the Black Serpents
> >are chasing Natasha north of the party area and she's gone to try to help
> >her and to ask for your help."
>
> I don't recall Crystal actually telling Junko that Natasha was to the
> north.

Doh, fixed.

> >The panther-borg hesitated at the edge of the rock, staring at Boris.
> >Probably wise on his part. Boris now began sucking the heat out of him,
> >Which seemed to make him even slower than before.
>
> How does natasha know it's sucking the heat out of things as opposed to
> generating ice? That's not an easy thing to spot visually.

Boris flares up when he absorbs heat.

> PART 4
>

> REgarding the body searches, if the hime sign is only visible in magic
> zones, what was the point of strip-searching the kids? I recall Akira
> thinking that they could settle this once and for all by taking the kids
> down to the cave and searching them there, but if searching them there
> would
> reveal it, why search them elsewhere?

The fear that other powers might claim them too.  Or that things might
change without them getting a memo, as they don't understand their own
powers too tremendously well.

> What exactly was Mr. Smith asked to investigate? Turning up information on
> running speed is awfully specific to Kasumi, and why did he bother to
> include a photo of Kagami? Unless he's specifically investigating the
> school, not Primus, she should be irrelevant.
>
> Because Kagami links around to Akane and company and also to the Primus
affair.

> >"Mom runs a gardening store, which includes selling things which cut
> >things," I told him.
>
> Garden stores sell diamond saws? Mass-produced diamonds are cheaper in the
> future, but isn't that overkill?  Wouldn't most cutting equipment be for
> plants?

Diamond saws = dirt cheap.  Today you can go to Lowe's and get a circle
sawblade for less than 20 dollars with a diamond cutting edge.

So I see it as plausible.  Dad has a diamond tipped chainsaw he uses for
yard work sometimes.  It = awesome.

Thanks for the feedback!