[FFML] Question about manga style

Henry Cobb henry.cobb at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 15:08:34 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Jared Waddell <rick_spiff at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Visually, I remember these being called 'wild takes' in years past. My co-writer through one into TGE. The best use of them in fanfiction that I have at least read, and maybe used once or twice, is where the over-the-top reaction is read literally. Playing off of it, such as having another character react to first character's wild take, is not usually necessary, but can be done if also played straight.

The Japanese got the wild takes from the American cartoons, but the
manga addition to this is an omake style comment added in the panel
where the visual pun occurs.

The animes which are adapted from manga will try to bring this across,
but usually not very well.

For example in the Gakuen Alice anime there are a few one second shots
scattered through different episodes where Mikan becomes a drunken
sallaryman and tosses a kotatsu.  (Which did not exist a moment before
and vanishes directly thereafter.)

Another character is the victim of this imaginary violence and Hotaru
will note that it wasn't their fault.

The important part is always that the wild take reaction comment
reveals something about the character who makes it, but this comment
is never referred to later by anybody, even if it would have
established a critical clue that could have been used to figure out
their true motives.

This is taken to far extremes in series like Bo-Bo-Bo, but there are
plenty of relatively serious series where actions do have consequences
that use this, sometimes as foreshadowing.

-HJC