[FFML] Warning to UK authors

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 6 08:19:21 PDT 2008

--- On Mon, 10/6/08, Doctor Nightfall <musko_no_kaji at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I read about this, and would like to point out that the
> Obscene Publications Act, these days, is used very much like
> the Profane Representations Act (Which has had, what, three
> uses in its whole history? And two of them were thrown out
> within five minutes of the case starting!) which is that
> it's only enforced if someone *wants* to use it, as in
> "It's GOT to be illegal somehow..."

Indeed.  From the article:

> The case originated in summer 2007, when Mr Walker allegedly posted
> a work of fantasy – titled Girls (Scream) Aloud - about pop group
> Girls Aloud.
>
> The story describes in detail the kidnap, rape, mutilation and murder
> of band members Cheryl Cole, Nadine Coyle, Sarah Harding, Nicola
> Roberts and Kimberley Walsh, and ends with the sale of various body
> parts on eBay.

If you don't write about real people, you're probably safe.  For
instance, you could probably write the exact same story about the Inner
Senshi and be in the clear.  (Whether you'd want to is a different
issue, as is whether you could make a good story - focusing on the
horror aspect, and perhaps telling it from the girls' perspective,
instead of going for guro porn would probably be required.  Of course,
this would be an extreme example of something that qualifies for the
Dark and Lemon tags.)