[FFML] [Haruhi] The Dream of the Butterfly

DB Sommer sommert at connecttime.net
Thu Nov 27 07:19:00 PST 2008

Sorry it took a while to get back to you:

Nugar wrote:
> On this day of melancholy nostalgia (for me), I shall hearken back to
> a younger, more innocent time full of witty quips and grammatical
> quibbles.
>
> I probably suck at this, I'm so out of practice.

% Nah. It was good. You haven't lost the touch.

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:32 AM, DB Sommer <sommert at connecttime.net> wrote:
>
>> The Dream of the Butterfly
>>

>> Standard disclaimer: As usual, I don't own the characters to the
>> Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
>>
>> xxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> It all started innocently enough that day after classes ended. The
>> entire SOS Brigade was in the clubroom. Yuki was reading off in a
>> corner. Haruhi was sexually harassing Asahina yet again, and Itsuki and
>> I were playing go, with me winning for a change.
>>

> $Koizumi losing a board game?  Say it isn't so!

% Actually I can't remember if they state he usually wins or not.

>> Haruhi was badgering Asahina about backless maid outfits, which caught
>> my attention. That's why I was looking out the window when the view
>> outside seemed to blur ever so slightly. When it refocused, the air was
>> filled with what could only be space ships, so many of them that they
>> blocked out the sky. They came in all shapes and sizes, from the classic
>> saucers and phallic rockets, to the more unusual, to the outright
>> bizarre. One appeared to be some sort of giant whale with bubbled domes
>> along its flesh, and yet another I couldn't exactly make out, since my
>> eyes kept sliding away from the edges, like my mind couldn't conceive
>> what I was seeing.
>>

> $Hmm, Kyon doesn't seem very Kyonish here.  Needs more cynical
> detachment, at least at this point.
>
> Suggest
>
> "Huh, that's more aliens than usual," I commented idly.

% Only watched the series once. I can't say I so much enjoyed the
characters as the plot and stories. Had they not been shown out of
order, it might not have really caught my interest at all, and even then
it was only after many people raved about it. So my grip on the
characters might not be the best.

>> The door disintegrated in an explosion, as did Itsuki. I saw him
>> actually blown into tiny bits. My mouth was open at the time. I think
>> something solid went down my throat. I prayed it was a splinter of wood,
>> and not the alternative.
>>

> $Well, at least Koizumi got his happy ending.  He always wanted to be
> inside Kyon.

% Heh. I loved the AMV 'The Seduction of Kyon'. Masterful job of
splicing there.

>> "A continuum blaster," Yuki said. "They had been galactically banned.
>> They use energy pulses to rend matter and send it randomly across time
>> and space." She looked me in the eye, and for the first time, I saw
>> panic in her face. "I am undooooooAAAAAAAA!" Her scream became something
>> not meant for human ears as she was ripped apart molecule by molecule
>> from one end/when of the universe to the other.
>>

> $Hmm, still doesn't seem like that would mean much to Yuki.  A body is
> just a body, after all.  If her core data was intact, she could always
> write a new one.

% Assume it eradicated her core data as well. Somehow. (Okay, I never
really considered it.).

>> I ran with Haruhi down the hall, dragging her with me. Asahina froze,
>> shouting, "This never happened!" over and over. I tried yelling at her
>> to move, but she was could only scream how this wasn't possible.
>>
>> She did it right up to the moment the polearm cleaved her head neatly
>> from her shoulders.
>>

> $Aww, I was actually expecting it to miss, and her to cutely stumble
> out the window and die.

% No, it's not that kind of fic.

>> Panicked, I ran up the stairs, Haruhi babbling incoherently now. I
>> wanted to do the same, but I had to save her. She was everything to me.
>>

> $Awww.  That's so sweet.

% Which makes Kyon's reaction to losing her all the more bitter.

>> We made it to the top of the stairwell and emerged on the roof. A
>> tactical error, considering the sky was filled with spacecraft and we
>> would be directly below them, without even walls for protection. But
>> that was not what was most disturbing. No. Not a sky filled with
>> thousands of aliens out of our blood.
>>

> $out for our blood.

% Used the grammar corrections.

>> Buddhist temples, it held a lantern, a disk, a jug of some sort of
>> liquid, and another one of those alien detectors in its hands. One
>> beeping madly.
>>
>> Before I could throw myself in front of Haruhi it tossed the liquid from
>> its jug of at her. It splashed all over her face and head.
>>
>> And it melted her wherever it touched.
>>

> $Fractal acid's a bitch.

% Whatever it was, it could eat through the suits and their fields in an
instant.

>> Our eyes met, the alien and me, and it was then I realized what the
>> truth was. All this time, it wasn't Haruhi who had been the one with the
>> powers, like everyone thought.
>>
>> It was me.
>>

> $I've held this opinion since I first saw it.

% I never gave it much thought, but from what others that have paid much
closer attention than I, you're probably right.

>> It did all begin the first time I met her on that day at school. She was
>> some sort of trigger, or maybe there was just something about her from
>> the instant I met her that made me want to please her, and I used my
>> powers to draw espers and time travelers and aliens to her side. Maybe
>> it had been love at first sight. Who knew? But it didn't matter. The
>> only thing that did was that I had the power.
>>

> $Ow.
>
> Ow.
>
> Hey, quit hitting me, Haruhi.  ...wait.
>
> Snorting, I sat upright and looked around, gradually becoming aware
> that I was sitting at a table in the club room.  Haruhi was glaring at
> me, and still whapping me on the head with a folded paper fan.
>
> "Kyon!, wake up!" she practically yelled.  "We're going to be late for
> the appointment with the palm reader!  I want to find out if she's
> really an esper!"
>
> "I'm coming, I'm coming," I replied tiredly, getting up and reaching for my bag.
>
> "You only have to say it once!" she cried again, giving me one last
> whap with the paper fan.  "So unreliable!"  She turned and flounced
> away in a huff, toward were the others were waiting near the door.
> Itsuki was smiling slightly, Asahina had her hands near her throat and
> looked concerned, and Yuki was neutral, as usual.  Way to show
> support, guys.
>
> You're all lucky I'm not god, because in my dreams...
>
> Ah, well.

% Hehehehehe. Nice

>> Though I am the butterfly and the world is my dream, I will not emerge
>> from my cocoon. There is nothing in it for me. Still, I will see them
>> die, every single one of these alien assassins. But not all at once. Oh
>> no. Let them die as my friends did. By flame and blade and blood, let
>> them die… no, be assassinated, one by one in tortured agony that will be
>> felt throughout the universe from now until the end of time. No matter
>> the cost to anyone else.
>>
>> Let it begin.
>>

> $Now that is sweet.  I'd kinda like to kill a lot of people, too.

% Well, it's only aliens.

>> Kei Kurono watched as an attractive woman was created by the light from
>> the black ball again. Older this time, well, in her thirties, at a
>> guess. Salarywoman, judging by her business outfit. And for a change,
>> not a rack to die for. At least she didn't look like another fucking
>> vampire. He really, really wanted to kill the two that were on the team,
>> since they were instrumental in his death. At least from what everyone
>> told him.
>>

> $I've been wanting to see someone write a Gantz self insert for quite
> a while now.  Of course, a friend of mine brought up the idea of a Now
> and Then, Here and There SI, which is arguably worse, at least to my
> sensabilities.

% Yes, the latter is worse. One of the few times in my life I truly
regretted wasting my life watching a series from start to finish. It was
supposed to be a good weekend when i watched it as well. :(

>> Since his return, Kei had taken to explaining things to the noobs. Five
>> of them this time. They would need them if this mission was anything
>> like the Nurarihyon. Not that he had been alive for it, and he was glad.
>> It sounded more hellish than the Buddhist temple mission with its living
>> statues that had killed everyone and nearly him as well. Nurarihyon had
>> taken two teams, and the Osaka Team had a lot more heavy hitters than
>> theirs, and still nearly all of the Osaka team had died. Being sole
>> survivor once had been bad enough, but never again.
>>

> $You think it'll really work that way?  I'm not up on the very latest
> chapters, but last I saw it was still chewing through them like a
> chainsaw through tree hugging hippies.

% Apparently that arc is already over. Read a summation when looking up
the alien's 'names'. The head alien had one vulnerability: It couldn't
defend against attacks it was unaware of. That's why the very first shot
from the Osaka sniper was so effective and took so long for the head
alien to regenerate. The Tokyo team figured it out, waited outside its
sense perimeter, used Kato as bait, and blew it into tiny pieces. Of
course Kato had his legs lasered off, but nothing the Gantz fax system
can't fix.

>> Kei looked at him helplessly. "Nobody knows. It's just the way it is,
>> and that's that."
>>

> $Cute.  I think this works better than the DBZ one.  More sinister, in a way.

% Well, the DBZ one is meant to be humorous. This... isn't.

>> Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> ball. Hey, it fits.
>>
>> And by the way, I don't own Gantz either.
>>

> $Cute.  Only real issue is that Kyon needs a more cynical detached
> commentary at the beginning, no matter how many aliens there are.
> Gives it more of an impact.
>
> And why aren't you calling them 'Fusions that should never be' anymore?

% Oh no. I think it's a good fusion. The only ones labeled as FTSNB, are
ones a feel should never be fused together. Hikaru No Go/Hale Noche Guu,
A!MG/Dokoru, the Beating to Death Angel, etc, etc.
That ones I did I thought made good crossovers or fusions.

% Thanks much for the C+C. It's greatly appreciated.

DB Sommer