[FFML] [Naruto][Crossover][Fic] Overkill, Prologue: Of Demons, Gods, and Mysterious Encounters

aleh at aol.com aleh at aol.com
Thu Mar 13 18:09:05 PDT 2008

    Eight-year-old Uzumaki Naruto stood in the middle of the street, not
knowing what to say to the woman who had just made such an outrageous
statement. "Anything?" he finally asked.

    "Yes," the mysterious woman replied, her violet eyes shining with
mirth. "Any wish you desire. All you have to do is to ask and I will
ensure that it comes true. You deserve that much, at least."

    "Even if I wanted... a friend?"

    "Friends?" she inquired. "That is simple enough. For you, who have
known naught but lonliness, it is only natural to desire companionship.
Very well. Should you ask that of me, I shall help you to find stalwart
companions, loyal friends who shall never abandon you."

    "That sounds... good," he whispered.

    "That is what you desire?"

    "Yes."

    "Very well, then," the woman finished as she faded into nothingness.
"It will be so."

    "Wait!" Naruto shouted. "Who are you?"

    "Taka-mi-musu-bi-no-kami," a faint whisper carried to his ears.

-----------

    Overkill,

    A Naruto Fanfiction,

    By Aleh

    Prologue: Of Gods, Devils, and Mysterious Encounters

-----------

    Disclaimer: I own neither Naruto nor Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. I do
wish that I did, however.

-----------

    A few things became readily apparent to Naruto. None of the people on
the street had seemed to notice what had happened... and they had
responded with a mix of confusion and disgust when he asked.

    Well, those that had actually /responded/ had done so. Most had just
ignored him and walked on.

    As the day progressed Naruto became increasingly confused about what
had happened and eventually convinced himself that it had just been a
pleasant daydream. He'd nearly forgotten about it by the time he fell
asleep that night.

    Almost as soon as he fell asleep, however, Naruto awoke with a start
as his bed disappeared from underneath him. Quickly opening his eyes
and looking around, he found himself flailing his arms about as he fell
towards an unfamiliar street.

    Then he saw a brown-haired girl walking right towards where he was
about to land. "Watch out!" he yelled, startling the girl who
reflexively stopped walking as her gaze snapped to follow the falling
boy.

    With that he landed, barely missing the wide-eyed brunette as he
crashed into the ground.

    "Are you okay?" she frantically asked, approaching him.

    "Of course," Naruto exclaimed, shaking somewhat as he stood up. "It'll
take more than that to take out the future Hokage!"

    "Hokage?" the girl asked, her twin ponytails cutely framing her blue
eyes. "What's that?"

    "Only the strongest, coolest ninja in all of Fire Country!"

    "Are you sure you didn't hit your head?"

    Naruto blinked.

    "Ah!" she suddenly shouted before bowing. "I'm Takamachi Nanoha.
Pleased to meet you."

    "Umm," Naruto replied, somewhat confused. "I'm Uzumaki Naruto. Please
to..."

    Naruto's introduction was cut off by a backpack falling out of the sky
and hitting him on the head.

    "Ow," Naruto muttered, dazed as he lay on the sidewalk, "that hurt."

    "Don't worry," Nanoha frantically reassured him as she waved her hands
and ran in a circle, "I'll get you to a clinic right away... just don't
die!"

    Had Naruto been in any condition to do so, he would have sweatdropped
at the sight.

-----------

    The next few minutes were a blur to Naruto as Nanoha practically
dragged him to a nearby clinic and begged the resident doctor to take a
look at him. While the ultimate conclusion -- that Naruto was fine, if
a bit dazed -- was a given to him, the concern that the doctor showed
him was a new thing, something that he didn't really know what to make
of.

    "Naruto-kun," the doctor stated, "you should take it easy for a few
days. I'll ask Nanoha-chan to take you home, but you really need to be
more careful in the future, okay?"

    Naruto blinked, not having recognised anything he'd seen since his
arrival.

    "But sensei," Nanoha protested, "I don't know where he lives!"

    "That's okay," the doctor reassured her. "I have his address."

    Naruto blinked again. "How do you know..."

    "Ah," Nanoha apologized. "I'm sorry, but we weren't sure about your
bag so we looked inside. Sensei found your ID card..."

    "ID card?" Naruto parroted.

    "Yes," the doctor agreed. "Anyway," she stated, writing an address on
a piece of paper and handing it to Nanoha, "do you think that you can
find that address? I'll write a note for your school..."

    At that point Nanoha got a good look at the paper the doctor had
handed her. "Aaaah," she shouted. "That's /my/ house!"

    Naruto and the doctor could only blink at that.

-----------

    A quick phone-call to Nanoha's home later, the doctor had discovered
that there wasn't a mistake... but that Naruto had just moved in with
them on short notice and Nanoha's family had intended to introduce the
two of them later. Naruto, of course, was totally clueless about the
matter -- especially since he didn't understand what a phone was -- but
decided that going to her house was the best course of action.

    On the way to Nanoha's house her cell-phone rang, startling Naruto.
After a brief conversation that left Nanoha quite wide-eyed and Naruto
confused over what she was doing, Nanoha stopped walking and turned
toward Naruto.

    "About the woman who sent you here... what do you know about her?"

    "Sent me here?" Naruto asked.

    "Yes... she said that she'd talked to you yesterday morning, that
you'd told her that you wanted friends..."

    Naruto blinked, still somewhat shocked by the day's events. "That
wasn't a dream?"

    He paused for a moment before reciting what he could remember of the
encounter... which wasn't much, periodically being interrupted by
Nanoha's exclamations.

    "Eh? And she didn't even introduce herself?" Nanoha asked as Naruto
finished.

    Naruto shook his head before pausing. "Wait... as she left, she called
herself... what was it... ah. 'Taka-mi-something-no-kami.' But..."

    Nanoha paled. "Kami?"

    "Yeah, but there's no way she really was..."

    "No," Nanoha disagreed. "She appeared to me, too. I don't really
understand what she said, but... she sent you here to make friends,
right?"

    Naruto dumbly nodded.

    "What about your friends where you came from? Won't you miss them?"

    "What friends?"

    "Whaaaat?!" Nanoha yelled.

    Naruto watched dumbly as his new acquaintance, in his opinion,
overreacted to his statement. After a few moments, however, she forced
herself to calm down.

    "Well," she stated, "then I think it would be nice if we were to
become friends."

    Naruto stared at her with a hopeful look as he remembered the strange
woman's earlier words.

    "But... we don't know what's going on... how long you'll be staying
for..."

    "Yeah," Naruto agreed, his disappointment easily visable to his new
friend.

    "We'll just have to make the best of the time we have, then!"

    Naruto looked up, his hope once again visible before a hesitant look
crossed his face. "But... I don't know how to do that... how to become
friends..."

    "It's simple," Nanoha explained, smiling. "Becoming friends is really
simple. You just have to say my name. That's all you need to do at the
beginning. Just look into someone's eyes and say their name." She met
Naruto's gaze and continued. "I'm Takamachi Nanoha. Just call me
Nanoha."

    "Nanoha?" Naruto hesitantly asked.

    "Yes, like that."

    "Nanoha..."

    "Yes," Nanoha stated, grabbing Naruto's hand.

    "Thank you, Nanoha-chan...," Naruto said, tears welling up in his eyes
as he smiled at his new friend.

    "No, Naruto-kun," Nanoha reassured him. "I'm happy to be your friend."

    After a few moments of standing there the moment passed and Naruto
moved on to other topics as they resumed their walk.

    "By the way, Nanoha-chan," he asked, "what was that thing you were
talking into earlier?"

    Nanoha blinked, pulling out her cell-phone. "You mean this? It's just
my cell phone."

    "What's a cell phone?"

    Nanoha blinked again. "You've never seen a cell-phone before?" She
dismissed the comment, knowing that cell phones weren't common in many
places and started to explain. As she finished, Nanoha noted that
Naruto still seemed confused about something.

    "I see..." Naruto replied. "Just one question."

    "Yes?"

    "What's a telephone?"

    Nanoha just stood dumbly for a few moments as Naruto's question
registered... before starting another explanation. "A different world
indeed," Nanoha thought, remembering what the strange lady who claimed
to be a kami had told her.

    For the rest of the trip to Nanoha's home she and Naruto traded
companionable banter... although it wasn't without surprises for both
parties.

    "Anyway," Nanoha explained as they approached her house, "Midoriya is
our coffee shop at the marketplace in front of the train station. We
sell various cakes, cream puffs, and different types of coffee. It's a
really popular place for girls coming home from school and ladies
around the neighborhood."

    Naruto nodded in understanding, having had the concept of a "train
station" explained to him earlier.

    "So... what kind of cake do you like?"

    Naruto paused for a moment. "I don't know," he admitted. "I've never
had any."

    "Don't tell me that you don't have cake where you're from!"

    Naruto shook his head. "No, we have it," he explained. "I've just
never had any."

    Nanoha paused at her door. "Well, we'll just have to fix that, then!"
And with that she opened her door and walked in. "Mother, Father, I'm
home!"

    It was a small wish. What Naruto wanted was to end his loneliness.
What he was waited for was a true friend to regard as precious. He got
his wish. With encounters, battles, and vast amounts of power...
Konoha's fate was silently set in motion. Even within the storm, Naruto
would continue to believe in the bonds that connected his heart to
others'... and a tale of truly spectacular overkill would begin.