[FFML] [ADMIN] A reminder about email attachments

Dennis Carr dennisthetiger at chez-vrolet.net
Tue Dec 9 18:53:59 PST 2008

Hey, it's your friendly neighborhood list op again.

I got a little surprise in my email box this afternoon from "The Post
Office" - apparently, my support team has decided that I am obviously
(sic) trojan infected and needed to follow the directions in an
attachment to remedy this problem. I find this particularly amusing,
because I'm my own support team.

Nevertheless, I'd like to remind people at this time of a few important
details.

First, I NEVER, EVER send email as root, admin, webmaster, postmaster,
hostmaster, hostslave, or any alias on my system.  This address on this
message is where I send mail from - that and my gmail account for the
rare occasion.

Second - and this bears repeating - never open an attachment on an
email that a) you weren't expecting and b) you can't verify the
source.  If it's an .exe, .zip, .cmd, or something with a Windows
critical extension file type, it's bad juju to open it - it's likely a
Trojan Horse.

Finally, if you get an email from my domain and you just want to know
what's going on, contact me.  I'll get it as soon as I can.

-Dennis
(list op)