[FFML] [C&C] Re: [Fanfic][Naruto] Suiren, Chapter 13: Wolves...

Eimii eimii.sensei at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 10:53:02 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 6:30 AM,  <croaker at rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> Personally, I'm enjoying the story, and I like the worldbuilding Eimii's doing.

Thanks, though given the slow pace at which i can actually introduce
and explain new story elements, without coming off all exposition'ey,
i'm starting to wonder whether i need to post a story FAQ on my site
or something =_=;...

> I like seeing that the ninja aren't the be-all and end-all of combat skills in this world. She's spent a lot of time building up the possibility with the story Sakura told Hinata about how Lord Haruno got his current position.

That story, incidentally, might be a load of totally biassed bullshit,
since Sakura just told Hinata what Lord Haruno told her. Hinata
expressed her doubts at the time, as it doesn't match the version of
events that Iruka told them in class, and even Sakura expressed some
doubts about her grandfather's honesty when they got to the castle,
since it seems far too large to defend with the small force that he
claimed.

On the other hand, it might also be entirely true. In the scope of
this story, that may never actually become clear.

> It works well, and it shows that there's a reason why the ninja are a powerful force but don't run ragged over the whole country.

Well, in some countries the ninja _do_ run ragged over the whole
country. The Water Country is an example of this, where the Hidden
Mist work for anyone who can pay their price in the constant civil war
that embroils that country. As a result, they are subject to many
types of predation that villages in more orderly countries are not.
They often have to fight ninja from other villages, mercenaries,
swordsmen loyal to the warring lords and even each other (if the
contracts are not ironed out correctly). The bloodline purges also
happened there, where popular sentiment against bloodline clans
resulted in the extinction of many such clans throughout the country.

The Fire Country and the Wind Country are successful and unsuccessful
examples of attepmts to coexist with a civilian government. The Fire
Country is probably successful where the Wind Country is not because
the Fire Country is a wealthy country with much arable land for
agriculture and industry, while the Wind Country is a poor country
with a harsh environment. Pressures of scarcity and greed led to the
Wind Country Daimyo cutting finding, business and tribute to the
Hidden Sand, which resulted in the war.

I would say a large part of the reason Hidden Villages tend not to
become strong, central powers in their own right is a matter of
expertise and logistics. These people are mercenaries. They are not
merchants, they are not farmers, they are not administrators, they are
_fighters_. Before the establishment of the hidden village system,
each ninja clan would have either been loyal to or had the sponsorship
of a feudal lord like Lord Haruno.

Before the ninja wars, which over time shifted the main focus of ninja
training from the subtle arts of espionage and assassination to open
combat, the samurai would have been the preeminent military force on
any battlefield. Though a lot of them have grown lax in the
intervening time, some samurai houses still produce very competent
fighters. Kurenai is, in a sense, a throwback to an earlier age; so
are Lord Haruno and his men.

As mentioned in 'Blood', Lord Haruno thinks of himself as 'The Last
Warlord' of the Fire Country. This is not just pride; this is an
official title, though no longer used. In Suiren, roughly a thousand
years before canon, the entire land expanse that is currently the
Fire, Earth and Wind countries was ruled as a single empire. The
uniter and first ruler of this empire built Ryuuzai Castle and
declared himself emperor.

Though the empire eventually crumbled into warring states that
reassembled themselves over time into smaller countries, the castle
has been continuously occupied by the conquerer's descendants for the
last thousand years. That is the house of Haruno. The Fire Country was
formed through the alliance of three states, one ruled by the house of
Haruno, one ruled by the house of the current daimyo, and one ruled by
the house of Tachibana (also mentioned in 'Blood.').

By tradition, the Lord Haruno holds the highest position amongst the
Fire Country's military nobility, the samurai, and he cannot be
dismissed by the daimyo. The Lord Tachibana, which orignally
controlled the Fire Country's coastal region, holds the highest
position amongst the 'courtly' nobility of the Fire Country, commands
the navy and all seagoing mercantile charters, and also cannot be
dismissed by the daimyo. This isn't important to the plot at the
moment, but i thought i might mention it since it might be later...

...aaaand now i'm getting a bit long in the tooth and just babbling
on. Anyhow, i _have_ thought this through a bit, but i have no idea
how much of this i'll be able to effectively display in the actual
story -_-;...